This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6154 / 51°36'55"N
Longitude: -4.9392 / 4°56'21"W
OS Eastings: 196607
OS Northings: 194828
OS Grid: SR966948
Mapcode National: GBR G8.J145
Mapcode Global: VH1SD.BNPG
Entry Name: St. Michael and All Angel's Church
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 8 February 1996
Source ID: 5927
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
At the N end of Bosherston village.
Church of perhaps C12, extensively restored in 1855 by Lord Cawdor. Chancel and nave with N and S transepts, W tower and porch. Squint linking S transept and chancel. Vestry N of Chancel.
Exterior: Original limestone masonry in large blocks. Slate roofs with sprockets at eaves. Recently re-roofed. On the N wall of the nave are signs of a lost N porch. Tower probably later than nave, battered at base. Three storeys. Corbelled parapet with crenellations. Louvred belfry openings on all sides. Stairs turret at the SE corner of the tower, also crenellated.
Interior: The nave, tower, transepts and porch are vaulted. The transepts meet the nave each side through a pointed arch, but the tower open directly to the nave. Timber roof in the chancel. Minton encaustic tile floor in chancel with arms of Lord Cawdor. Good east window in Early English style with three lancets and four thin Purbeck marble columns to the inside arches. Stained g]ass 1872, in memory of Rev. W Allen. Modern oak table. Corbels of former rood beam. Square Norman font, scraped. C 14 effigy-tombs in the transepts. Ogee-headed piscina in the S transept, at a low level which indicates the floor has been raised about 0.5 m.
Listed Grade II* as a mediaeval church with good C19 E window.
References: Information from Rev. J H Richards
RCAHM Inventory (1925) 21
Dyfed Arch. Trust: S&M PRN 627
Other nearby listed buildings