This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6565 / 51°39'23"N
Longitude: -5.0584 / 5°3'30"W
OS Eastings: 188551
OS Northings: 199736
OS Grid: SR885997
Mapcode National: GBR G5.JRN2
Mapcode Global: VH1S4.8MPG
Entry Name: Corse Bridge and attached Walled Channel
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 5954
Building Class: Transport
Location: At the point where the Angle to Castlemartin road crosses the community boundary.
Locality: Gupton Burrows
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
History: In 1788 the landowner John Campbell, of Stackpole Court, obtained an Act for the drainage and enclosure of Castlemartin Corse. The scheme included a channel to carry the drain through the sandbanks and into a culvert to the sea and an adjacent bridge for the Angle to Castlemartin road. These works were carried out first. The scheme was then completed by John Mirehouse of Brownslade, who took a tenancy of the 274 acres of land to be improved and undertook the drainage work. He was awarded the Gold Medal of the Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Science and Commerce in 1800.
Campbell's bridge is segmental, approximately 7 m span by 3 m wide, in mortared rubble masonry with deep thin voussoirs. The parapets are about 1 m high with large coping stones and have curved approach wings. Below the bridge is a 25 m long open drainage channel through the dunes 2 m wide with a path on each side, all between retaining walls. The drain enters a culvert at the base of a high retaining cross wall, leading to the sea.
These structures are the start of an interesting early example of agricultural improvement works, carried out by John Campbell, later created Lord Cawdor, and his tenant John Mirehouse of Brownslade.
References: Lewis, Topographical Dictionary (1842)
RCAHM notes 1976
Howells ed., Pembrokeshire County History III (1987) 313
Dyfed Arch. Trust: S&M PRN 4675
Other nearby listed buildings