This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6841 / 51°41'2"N
Longitude: -5.0096 / 5°0'34"W
OS Eastings: 192051
OS Northings: 202657
OS Grid: SM920026
Mapcode National: GBR G6.XSNC
Mapcode Global: VH1RZ.3XZW
Entry Name: Former Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 29 September 1993
Source ID: 6587
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in sloping churchyard between Texaco Oil Refinery and Pembroke Power Station and S of inlet at Pwllcrochan Flats. To be converted to a private house (1993).
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
C14 to C15 former parish church with N transept dated 1342.
Restoration is recorded in 1865, under Mr Lloyd of Neyland, and 1897. The interior is recorded as having on S side of the nave the effigy of Rudolph de Benegar, the chancel as having sedilia, piscina, blocked priest's door and two niches. (Kelly's Directory 1926). The church was closed in 1982.
Rubble stone and slate roofs. Nave, whitewashed rendered chancel, C19 N porch, N transept with squint, SE tower with recessed stone spire, and disused S porch. Nave has C19 fishscale slate eaves roof, C19 2-light W window with quatrefoil in head, whitewashed S side with affixed slate plaque to G Phelps (d 1803). C19 N porch has pointed doorway and plain pointed medieval inner doorway. S porch has C19 eaves roof and blocked rough stone pointed S doorway. Tower at SE end of nave has corbelled parapet and narrow lancet bell openings. Recessed octagonal spire. C19 2-light S window. N transept has NE angle red carved inscription stone of exceptional rarity which records its rebuilding by Rudolph Benegar, rector, 1342. 2-light flat-headed window. W side plaque to ReváAáBoye (d 1704). Squint has flat-headed 2-light window. Chancel has 3-light C19 E window.
Not inspected. N transept has C19 roof and plastered arch to nave, fittings have been removed, font and memorials to Rhoscrowther Church.
Other nearby listed buildings