This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6821 / 51°40'55"N
Longitude: -5.0152 / 5°0'54"W
OS Eastings: 191653
OS Northings: 202455
OS Grid: SM916024
Mapcode National: GBR G6.G51J
Mapcode Global: VH1RZ.1Z0C
Plus Code: 9C3PMXJM+RW
Entry Name: Stone Building (now as a Barn) at Old Henllan
Listing Date: 29 September 1993
Last Amended: 29 September 1993
Source ID: 6589
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in a hollow some 250m N of Hentland Farm, which lies N of road to Rhoscrowther some 1 km E of the Texaco Oil Refinery.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Building is apparently the remains of the ancient Henllan mansion recorded by Fenton as having been owned by descendants of Gwynfardd Dyfed until the C16, when Jenkin White of Tenby married the heiress of Jenkin ap Einion. Griffith White was first to settle there c1545-90, his widow lived there to c1600; Henry White lived there to 1613; Griffith White II, a Parliamentarian during the Civil War, to c1654; Henry White II to c1670 and then it passed to his infant grand-daughter Elizabeth (d 1736) but was tenanted from c1677. It seems likely that any building work would date from before the Civil War or the later C16, as the estate afterwards was either indebted or let. In the C18 it became part of the Stackpole estate.
C16 or C17 remains of mansion house of the White family, now barn. Rubble stone with corrugated iron roof and stone S end stack. Originally two storeys, internal floors removed. S end has big chimneybreast corbelled out on stone slab over rubble buttress. Blocked upper window to left. E front has two blocked windows to left under eaves, one with chamfered oak lintel and one window to right. Ground floor broad barn doors with timber lintel and one window to right, with stone lintel. Some further ruined buildings extend northwards from N end. W side has two blocked upper windows and one small lower window.
Retains holes for heavy floor-beams and 5 pegged collar trusses. Small fireplaces each end.
Other nearby listed buildings