This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6178 / 51°37'4"N
Longitude: -3.9369 / 3°56'13"W
OS Eastings: 265996
OS Northings: 192779
OS Grid: SS659927
Mapcode National: GBR WSZ.L0
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.QL1M
Entry Name: Exchange Chambers (Exchange Buildings)
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source ID: 11555
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Occupying a large corner site at Adelaide Street and Cambrian Place overlooking the Royal Institution.
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1913-14. Designed by Charles T Ruthen, architect of Swansea. Henry Billings and Sons, contractor. Edwardian classicism.
Main symmetrical curving facade with advanced centre and ends to Cambrian Place. 3 storeys with attic and basement. Portland stone with channelled rustication to centre, ends and ground floor; granite plinth; red brick to sides and rear.
3-bay frontispiece with pilastered attic storey and entablature supporting clock aedicule with swags, keystone and flanking volutes. Balustraded parapets link to outer bays with keyblocked open pediments and attic thermal windows. Main modillion cornice, giant tetrastyle Ionic half-columns in antis over main entrance; 3 bay loggia with modillion cornice and centre open pediment with Swansea arms, pair of blocked columns.
Upper storeys with linked architraves, cross-windows, aprons (swagged to outer bays); keyblocked arched windows to ground floor; grilles to basement. Right hand entrance with cavetto arched opening and inset lugged and blocked architrave, double panelled doors under tablet. Low screen wall to right with arched entry under 1914 keyblock, arched fanlight and double ironwork gates.
Symmetrical 5-bay W facade with advanced ends, detailing as before. Centre and left hand doorways up steps, double panelled doors under tablets, balustered area parapets. Lower screen wall to left as Cambrian Place.
Coffered ceiling and panelled pilasters to main entrance, timber commissionaires box on right, leading to 1 storey exchange hall with cantilevered upper walls (formerly open to roof?). Pilastered and panelled dados, round central light with Chamber of Commerce panel, half-glazed doors etc.
Other nearby listed buildings