This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6192 / 51°37'9"N
Longitude: -3.9358 / 3°56'8"W
OS Eastings: 266079
OS Northings: 192929
OS Grid: SS660929
Mapcode National: GBR WT5.3X
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.QKNK
Entry Name: The Old Guildhall (Former Annexe to Dynevor Comprehensive School)
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source ID: 11643
Building Class: Civil
Location: Large public building close to River Tawe and the former site of West Docks.
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
First built 1825-29 by Thomas Bowen, a local builder, to designs by John Collingwood, architect of Gloucester. Enlarged and entirely remodelled 1848-52 by William Richards of Swansea to plans by Thomas Taylor, architect of London; dated 1848 over entrance. Later extensions, alterations to N and E sides and interior remodelled (partly by C J Phipps of London, 1870). Ceased use as Guildhall in 1934. Roman Classicism using Corinthian order (capitals modelled on Temple of Jupitor Stator in Rome).
2 storey, 6 bay Bath stone entrance front, advanced ends with 1st floor aedicules and paired centre bays with three-quarter columns. Deep cornice to entablature (dentils removed) with solid parapets over (balustrades and urns removed), block pedestals to columns linked by cill bands (balustraded aprons removed); channelled rustication under band course to ground floor.
Tall round-arched windows with architraves, lion masks and heads to keyblocks, impost bands, sash windows with glazing bars. Ground floor openings with keyblocks and recessed frames, twin pilastered doorcases with volutes to arched architraves, blind lunettes and double panelled doors, carved Borough of Swansea arms to centre spandrel. Later 3-storey extensions with large ground floor arches to left side concealing original rear elevations.
S elevation of 9 bays with detailing as before (3-bay centre), upper floor glazing altered, sash windows to ground floor, area railings. 3-bay return elevation (part of larger design on E side, 2-storey later extensions; attached galleried ranges to N and E of E courtyard are not of special interest.
Interior retains fine classical detailing to main lateral staircase with arched coffered ceiling; top flight with trabeated columned archway flanked by niches etc leads to monumental entrance hall with ribbed ceiling and massive doorcases. Good classical interiors to former Council Chamber and Court Rooms I and II en suite on 1st floor. Vaulted ground floor rooms and passages, brick cells to rear.
Disused at time of survey (October 1985).
Other nearby listed buildings