This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8016 / 51°48'5"N
Longitude: -4.9691 / 4°58'8"W
OS Eastings: 195382
OS Northings: 215610
OS Grid: SM953156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XL3X
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZD8
Entry Name: No.43 High Street (Premises Occupied by Monts),,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12108
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the S side of the High Street some 20m W of its junction with Quay Street.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
C19 refacing of gable-ended house possibly of medieval origin. Occupied by jewellers since the early C19. The present firm was founded in 1796 and has been in present premises since the earlier C19. Bisley H. Munt became proprietor in 1880 and the shopfront and clock probably date from the 1880s. Later C19 photographs show a simpler gable without the overhang and smaller shop window. The medieval cellar described in 1974 as being beneath is said by owners not to exist, and to be an error for the triple cellar under No 24 Hill Lane (which is probably not medieval).
Shop premises and house, painted stucco gable front to High Street with bargeboards to overhanging roof. Imitation slates. Two storeys and attic, one-window range. Small plate glass sash to attic, canted late C19 timber oriel to first floor with casements and top-lights, and moulded cornice, over late C19 shop front. Canted shop window to right and door to left in casing of four pilasters with panelled lower parts and panels under capitals, overall fascia canted out over shop window, with raised fluted blocks over pilasters and moulded top cornice. Door is recessed, up four stone steps, three-quarter glazed, with overlight. Short section of stucco wall to left with glazed display cabinet, and then shop front with centre plate glass large pane and thin angle shafts to narrow canted side panes. Top lights have leaded patterned coloured glass, arched heads to top lights over side panes, curved outer angles to long three-light top light over main window. Flared sill with gold painted lettering and stuccoed base.
To left of oriel is late C19 clock on Gothic pierced cast-iron bracket, the round clock surrounded on both faces with pierced metal decorative ring.
East side to Hill Lane has a late medieval or C16 corbelled first floor chimney breast. Painted stucco to right, the return of the High Street front, with one small plate glass sash window to ground floor. Roughcast walling to left, with corbelled chimney over a small 2-light window, larger two-light to left, stepped up with line of slope and first floor hornless 12-pane large sash above. To left, another window of similar size but with later glazing probably replacing a small-paned sash. Door to extreme left.
Interior of shop altered, two encased beams. Rest not inspected.
Included for its special interest as a gable-fronted shop building of early origins, with good late C19 shop front.
Other nearby listed buildings