This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8016 / 51°48'5"N
Longitude: -4.9708 / 4°58'14"W
OS Eastings: 195262
OS Northings: 215611
OS Grid: SM952156
Mapcode National: GBR CK.XRPG
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.SZH9
Entry Name: No.12 High Street,,,,,dyfed,,12116
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12116
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated attached to No 1 Dark Street, at junction of High Street and Dark Street.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Substantial late C18 to early C19 house, in use as solicitors' offices since c. 1800, the firm still in the same family. William Evans of Narberth married Mary Eaton, their son William Evans, solicitor, built Avellanau mansion, Merlin's Bridge in 1845, and his son Eaton Evans continued the practice, followed by three further generations, Eaton-Evans & Williams 1926, the firm now Eaton-Evans and Morris. The house bears signs of having been a refronting of two houses, in that the roof line changes in the centre, though eaves are continuous. The eaves may have been altered since 1974, when they are described as projecting and bracketed.
Town house, now solicitors' office, painted stucco with imitation slates to roof and brick joined ridge chimneys, at apparent break between the roofs to left and right, and brick right end stack. Three storeys, five- window range, with centre doorway and two-window range each side. Close eaves with eaves board. Sill band on first and second floors. Four square 6-pane hornless sash windows on second floor, hornless 12-pane sashes elsewhere, four each floor. Ground floor right windows are closer spaced as arched doorway is not quite central, so that window to right is not aligned with the one above. Plain arched raised stuccoed surround to recessed 6-panel flush-panelled door with plain fanlight. Rendered left end wall with no chimney.
Rear shows two builds, the left half continuous with no 14, two-window range with hornless sashes to left: 6-pane attic over 12-pane to first and ground floors, with long range running N attached at basement level. Long narrow stair-lights to right each floor. Right side is stepped in with varied roofs and rear wing attached running N, two-storey, the roofline stepped down.
Ground floor has six-panel doors. Rear staircase with scrolled tread ends, square balusters and continuous rail, scrolled at foot. Similar rail to basement stair, but with turned column newels. On left of basement stair is painted grained cast-iron 4-panel strong-room door giving access to strong room with two tall narrow chambers with plastered round vaults and each with seven tiers of slate shelves each side with brick piers for document storage. Under front range, parallel to street is long broad barrel-vaulted cellar, divided into two rooms, with three well-formed arches to blocked openings to street, possibly former coal chutes. Upper floors not inspected.
Included in a higher grade as a distinguished late Georgian front with good surviving staircase and other interior features.
Other nearby listed buildings