History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No.1 High Street,,,,,dyfed,

A Grade II Listed Building in St Davids, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.881 / 51°52'51"N

Longitude: -5.2649 / 5°15'53"W

OS Eastings: 175389

OS Northings: 225315

OS Grid: SM753253

Mapcode National: GBR C5.RQRK

Mapcode Global: VH0TD.PZJC

Entry Name: No.1 High Street,,,,,dyfed,

Listing Date: 26 August 1981

Last Amended: 28 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12609

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Situated at extreme W end of High Street, at entry to Cross Square.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (TÅ·ddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close

Built-Up Area: St Davids

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
St. Davids

History

This house was latterly the Beehive Cafe and before that the Post Office, the premises of Barclays Bank (before adjoining building was built ca 1930) and ca 1900 called Maldwyn House; occupied 1906 by F J Sime, relieving officer and registrar.

Exterior

Mid to later C19 house and shop in rubble stone with slate roof (grouted slate 1981) and big stone end stacks. Two-storey three-window front with 12-pane sashes above, purple stone voussoirs (replaced to centre window) and slate sills. Ground floor has round-arched door to right of centre with painted rendered head and reveals, modern half-glazed door and original traceried fanlight. To left, shopfront under exceptionally broad purple stone head, slightly cambered. Shopfront is mid C20 with recessed centre door between windows with stained glass top lights. Old photographs show large 9-paned window each side of shop door. To right is early C20 canted bay window on stone base. Sash windows and moulded cornice. Rear pointed stair-light with intersecting glazing bars. Two storey NW rear wing and various modern additions including, prominently, a flat-roofed imitation stone addition to left of main front.

To rear NW is low rubble outbuilding with slate roof, said to have been a smithy.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.