This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4499 / 51°26'59"N
Longitude: -3.2222 / 3°13'19"W
OS Eastings: 315167
OS Northings: 173033
OS Grid: ST151730
Mapcode National: GBR K6Z.H6
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.3TFC
Entry Name: Nos 1,2,3 Church Cottages
Listing Date: 2 December 1992
Last Amended: 25 April 2002
Source ID: 13481
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the opposite side of the road and to the N of the church.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Michaelston-le-Pit and Leckwith (Llanfihangel-y-Pwll a Lecwydd)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Early - mid C19. Row of cottages shown in this position on tithe map of 1845. Shown on First Edition OS map surveyed 1878-9. Possibly associated with the Cwrt-yr-Ala estate.
Terrace of 3 cottages in Tudor Revival/cottage orne style. Built of coursed stone rubble with raised brick dressings including a corbelled gable apex; slate roof with decorative cusped and pierced barge-boards to overhanging eaves, finials and paired red brick chimney stacks with toothed cornices set diagonally on the ridges. Glazing is of diamond quarries in metal framed casements with cambered heads. Plan of the terrace is a continuous rear range and 3 parallel cross wings creating the entrance frontages. The houses are almost but not quite symmetrical. Entrance frontage has a 2-window range to each and an off-centre doorway with bracketed gabled hood and boarded door; single window only to first floor of number 2. Garden frontage to rear is different; each cottage has paired half dormers with similar decorative bargeboards, over a casement window, making a continuous row of 6; ground floor has decorative gabled wooden porches, flanked by windows to central house, single windows to end houses.
Number 2 has no ridge stacks to the long range.
Number 3 has no gable front paired stacks and has a side extension. Artificial slate roof.
Plan of stairs parallel with garden frontage rising between the two wings.
Listed as a well-preserved group of Tudor Revival cottages in the centre of the village. Group value with the church, lychgate and telephone box.
Other nearby listed buildings