This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5983 / 51°35'53"N
Longitude: -3.3236 / 3°19'24"W
OS Eastings: 308420
OS Northings: 189661
OS Grid: ST084896
Mapcode National: GBR HR.BDQP
Mapcode Global: VH6DR.B3T1
Entry Name: ,30 Graig-yr-Helfa Road,Glyntaff,,MID GLAMORGAN
Listing Date: 25 May 1962
Last Amended: 26 February 2001
Source ID: 13491
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On a W-facing hillside overlooking the town. No 30 incorporates the southernmost of the towers.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Pontypridd
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1838-9 by Dr William Price in connection with a 'Druidic museum' close to the Rocking Stone on Pontypridd Common. The 'museum' was a 4-storey round house demolished c1950.
Willian Price (1800-93) was a doctor, chartist and druid who performed druidical rites at the nearby rocking stone and was a conspicuous local figure dressed in white tunic, scarlet waistcoat, green trousers and fox-skin hat. He achieved a national reputation as an advocate of free love and vegetarianism and scorned orthodox religion and society. His acquittal in 1884 on charges of illegally cremating his son established the legality of cremation in British law.
Belongs to a group of 4.
Group: 29-32 Graig-yr-Helfa Road, Glyntaff, Pontypridd
Comprising a pair of 3-stage round towers flanking wrought iron gates and with 2-storey attached wings. Of rendered walls painted white. The towers and the attached wing on the R side have slate roofs, the wing on the L side has replaced tile roofs, all with wide boarded eaves. The towers have eaves stacks to the outer sides, the wings each have 2 ridge stacks. In the lower and middle stage the towers have 3 narrow windows with triangular heads, while the upper stage has 2 windows. The rear wings each incorporate single-fronted and then double cottages. Added lower projections are at each ends and at the rear.
The interiors are modernised.
Listed, notwithstanding extensive alterations, for its architectural interest as part of a striking group in a commanding position above the town, and for its association with Dr William Price, pioneer of the Celtic Revival of the C19.
Other nearby listed buildings