This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.466 / 51°27'57"N
Longitude: -3.1659 / 3°9'57"W
OS Eastings: 319106
OS Northings: 174762
OS Grid: ST191747
Mapcode National: GBR KMS.2F
Mapcode Global: VH6FF.2DNZ
Entry Name: ,54c,Bute Street,,,SOUTH GLAMORGAN,
Listing Date: 20 August 1992
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 13967
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Long range to right of Pascoe House; formerly gardens to S. Dock Lane to E.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably built ca 1860; erected by Bute estate and therefore may be by Alexander Roos, estate architect. Said to have been the first purpose built group of offices in Butetown. 1874 to 1927 - southern part was Cardiff Docks Branch of National Provincial Bank of England. In 1901 E W M Corbett designed alterations to No 3. Later (perhaps inter-war) and modern alterations.
3-storey block of varied design including Free Classical and French Renaissance influences, with Dutch gables. Red brick with Bath stone ground floor facing and dressings including channelled pilaster strips and gable parapets; ground floor given thin cement stacks with cornices to front and rear. Gently stepped facade composed of 5 5 bay sections repeated either side of advanced central bay which is crowned by enormous, and steep, French style roof including elaborate dormer; each section is defined by channelled pilaster strips. Otherwise distinctive for its use of shaped gables to centre of each group of 5 bays; these are flanked by a pierced parapet which to left, retains urn finials; pendants (finials missing) and circular attic windows. Mostly 4-pane sash glazing; tripartite to central block including pedimented cornice to 1st floor and flanking C17 style blind ovals with draped festoons. 2nd floor has bracket sills set into stone band course; stringcourse and vermiculated voussoirs to 1st floor and deep frieze band to ground floor. Central window and entrance of each 5-bay section has enriched ornament over cornices; round-arched doorways with keystones, pilasters and panelled double doors. Original ground floor windows are segmental except to central block where they are semicircular. Alterations to right hand end with addition of grander bank frontage, extended 1-bay beyond corner, single storey, and including pedimented Tuscan Doric entrance; channelled and with pilasters, modillion cornice and high granite plinth. Left hand half has been more significantly altered with garage door entry piercing extreme left end; scrolled ornament removed to windows. However the inner 5-bay section on this side has been given Grecian Classical treatment and includes surrounds to one large shop-window, a vehicular entrance and the central entrance with anthemion finial, egg and dart and fretwork ornament etc; panelled doors with latticed overlight. Similar but simpler detail to rear with 4 5-window sections flanking the central projection. Twin-gabled right hand end with central chimney; flat roof open-plan extension behind which internally has iron Doric columns.
Dock Chambers has openwell staircases with ironwork balustrades, bulbous newels and scrolled handrails. Panelled doors and reveals and round-arched and segmental architraves. Ground floor front room to No 4 has plaster frieze and fluted columns to chimneypiece; panelled shutters.
Listed as part of impressive group of Victorian commercial buildings. Group value.
Other nearby listed buildings