This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5035 / 51°30'12"N
Longitude: -3.1641 / 3°9'50"W
OS Eastings: 319294
OS Northings: 178927
OS Grid: ST192789
Mapcode National: GBR KMC.G0
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.3GLS
Plus Code: 9C3RGR3P+98
Entry Name: White Lodge
Listing Date: 10 August 1989
Last Amended: 12 October 2001
Source ID: 14117
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In its own grounds and located at the junction of Ty Gwyn Road and Ty Gwyn Avenue.
Community: Roath (Y Rhath)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Tagged with: Gatehouse
White Lodge was built for E Hodge, building plans for which are signed by H.P. Erwan and dated 1910. The house and outbuildings are first shown on the 1920 Ordnance Survey. White Lodge stood adjacent to an earlier house, which was built in the final quarter of the C19, was originally known as Fretherne but later as Woodlands, and is first shown on the 1901 Ordnance Survey. This earlier house was subsequently demolished but its former stable and boundary wall were retained and incorporated into the outbuildings and boundary wall of White Lodge.
In an Arts and Crafts style influenced by Sir Edwin Lutyens. A tall 2-storey N-facing house comprising a double-depth main range with an office wing forward on the R. Walls are whitewashed roughcast with exposed red sandstone ashlar and tiled dressings, on a snecked rock-faced stone plinth. The steeply-pitched tile roof is hipped with swept and boarded eaves to the front span and wing, gabled to the rear span. A tall ashlar stack with deep moulded cornice is to the L of centre in the front (N) roof slope, while the rear (S) roof span has centre and L end ashlar stacks. The main entrance is centrally placed and has dwarf rock-faced walls enclosing a patterned stone forecourt. It has a segmental arch to a recessed porch, in a tile surround with decorative fins radiating from the arch ring. Within the porch is a small-pane bay window and a panelled door offset to the L with bottle-glazing under the arch. Above the porch is a central 3-light gabled window with tile-hung apex. On the R side are narrow windows with tiled drip moulds, above which is a 3-light stair window with replaced central light. On the L side the roof is lower and has 2 hipped-roof dormers with swept eaves and 2-light casements. In the lower storey are 2 2-light windows, under a segmental head immediately L of the porch.
The L end wall is 1½-storey. It has a 5-light bay window to the billiard room under a half-hipped gablet with string course. Upper L and R are dormers similar to the front. The rear roof span is gabled, with tiles apex above a decorative vent, external stack offset to the R side, and a 2-light window above a conservatory. The conservatory is polygonal with a hipped roof, and beneath it is a basement reached by brick steps.
The asymmetrical 5 bay S front has a tall 2-storey projecting gabled bay to the centre, incorporating a garden entrance and loggia with segmental arch, of ashlar in the lower storey above the rock-faced plinth. The upper-storey balcony also has a segmental arch and French doors. Windows incorporate small-pane top-hung casements. The central bay is continuous with a bay L of centre, which is beneath a separate pyramidal roof with finial. To the R of centre is a full-height bow window with similar swept pyramidal roof. A further canted bay window is at the R end, under a hipped roof, with small bullseye window in the upper storey.
The L (W) gable end has a 2-storey projection of rock-faced stone offset to the R side (for an inglenook). It has small bullseye windows in both storeys flanking the projecting chimney, and similar windows to the return at the end of the S front. Above, the ashlar flue is diagonal. Single windows are L of the projection in each storey. The office wing is set back from the W gable end, and has a round-headed doorway on the R side. The wing has 2 lean-to porches, of which the L-hand is trellised. Between the lean-tos is a rock-faced external flue, incorporating a window in the lower storey, to an ashlar eaves stack.
The interior retains its original plan form and much of the original detailing. The porch leads into a longitudinal entrance hall with billiard room to L, stairs and office wing to the R. A drawing room (leading to the conservatory), tapestry room and dining room are arranged ensuite along the S front. The open-well Arts and Crafts stair has tapered newels, and a stair window with inter-war stained glass depicting a pastoral scene. The hall has high panelled dado. The billiard room has finely detailed woodwork, with wainscotting, an arched inglenook and a long window seat opposite. The drawing room has arched screens, a good classical chimneypiece and ribbed, plaster ceiling. The dining room has a panelled inglenook and moulded fire surround.
Listed for its architectural interest as an exceptionally complete and accomplished Edwardian Arts and Crafts house, a type found only rarely in suburban Cardiff, retaining original interior plan and detail.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings