This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3212 / 53°19'16"N
Longitude: -3.4864 / 3°29'10"W
OS Eastings: 301087
OS Northings: 381506
OS Grid: SJ010815
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z31.04
Mapcode Global: WH653.FS18
Entry Name: 44 Bath Street (E Side),,,,,clwyd,
Listing Date: 14 February 1994
Last Amended: 14 February 1994
Source ID: 14140
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the E corner of Bath Street and Brighton Road.
Community: Rhyl (Y Rhyl)
Built-Up Area: Rhyl
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built between 1861 and 1868 as a terrace of private houses, some of which served as boarding houses.
Terrace of 8 houses, symmetrically designed using the Gothic detailing increasingly adopted for new building in Rhyl from about this time. Smooth rendered with painted stone dressings, and slate roofs with ridge cresting and end wall an asymmetrical 2-window range, with outer doorway and 2-storey canted bay window set beneath steep slightly advanced gable, and the terrace is grouped so that the gables are paired, pairing the doorways of the central 6 dwellings. Round-arched doorways with stepped moulding, and fluted pilasters to paired central doorways; heavy brackets carry entablature hoods surmounted by cast iron brattishing. Round-arched windows over the doors in stressed architraves with keystones. Angle quoins to gables, which have 2-storeyed canted bay windows with heavy cornice over each floor. Round-arched window in gable apex (some renewed). Windows throughout have marginal glazing bars. Eaves overhand on moulded brackets; bargeboards with finials (some missing) to oversailing gable roofs.
One of the first examples of the Gothic style of terrace in Rhyl, probably intended to be used as lodging houses from the outset, and so a style and building type of considerable significance for the character of Rhyl in the latter part of the C19. This terrace is the best surviving example which retains most of its original character.
Part of an important group of buildings centred on the Church of the Holy Trinity and the Church of Saint Thomas.
Other nearby listed buildings