History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairoaks

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, Monmouthshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8265 / 51°49'35"N

Longitude: -2.7751 / 2°46'30"W

OS Eastings: 346678

OS Northings: 214497

OS Grid: SO466144

Mapcode National: GBR FH.W48B

Mapcode Global: VH79B.VC83

Entry Name: Fairoaks

Listing Date: 11 October 1994

Last Amended: 19 March 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14874

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set back behind front garden approximately 0.5km east of The Hendre.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Monmouth

Community: Llangattock-Vibon-Avel (Llangatwg Feibion Afel)

Community: Llangattock-Vibon-Avel

Locality: Hendre

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Monmouth

History

Dated 1893. Built as an estate cottage for The Hendre which was the home of the Rolls family who were pioneers of aviation and motoring. The design of this house is repeated as a mirror reflection in Pen-y-cwm, on the S side of the road approximately 400m to the W.

Exterior

Simple gothic 2-storey 2-gabled dwelling built of snecked rubble with lightly dressed quoins, wooden window frames with diamond-lattice glazing, slate roof with overhanging eaves and verges, and bargeboarding with apex finials; axial stone chimney stack with 3 tall octagonal chimney pots. T-plan formed by a 3-bay main range with 1-bay rear wing. Asymmetrically gabled main range with central gabled timber-framed and slate-roofed porch with corbelled semi-circular outer arch and open square-panelled timber detail to the gable, round-arched openings to the sides, a internal bench and a half-glazed door; tucked under the eaves above is a very shallow 2-light mullioned window. To the left is a projected gabled bay which has a cross-window at ground floor and a bracketed wooden oriel at 1st floor with similar glazing and a mono-pitched roof. The bay to the right, which has a gable raised over it, has a transomed 3-light window at ground floor and a small 2-light mullioned casement at 1st floor; and between floors is a square plaque carved with a quatrefoil containing Lord Llangattock's monogram "Ll" and the date 1893. The joinery of all the windows is ovolo-moulded. The left gable end has a canted bay window to the ground floor. At the rear the gable of the rear wing has a transomed 3-light window at ground floor (damaged at the time of the survey) and a cross-window above; and both rear angles have modern additions.

Interior

Interior not accessible at time of inspection but probably retains original plan-form.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for the special interest of the well-preserved architectural character of this estate cottage and for its associations with The Hendre; and as one of a remarkable series of estate buildings associated with the Hendre estate.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.