This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7209 / 52°43'15"N
Longitude: -4.052 / 4°3'7"W
OS Eastings: 261504
OS Northings: 315670
OS Grid: SH615156
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.1LZ0
Mapcode Global: WH56L.QVPY
Entry Name: ,8,St George's Terrace,Old Barmouth,,GWYNEDD,LL42 1BN
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15477
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Built against the rock, immediately behind Williams Buildings, and adjacent to Green Bank.
Community: Barmouth (Bermo)
Locality: Old Barmouth
Built-Up Area: Barmouth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The house originally formed two of the originally 13 St George's Guild Cottages which formerly served a community founded by John Ruskin. From 1871 Ruskin published his socialist theories in a series of letters - the Fors Clavigera - which were addressed to 'the working men of England'. In that year he founded the Guild of St. George, 'a society established to carry out certain charitable acts', and the community at Barmouth was his first social experiment. It was made possible by the donation in 1874 of the land and cottages by Mrs Talbot of Tyn-y-Fynnon, a friend of Ruskin's and a sympathiser with his beliefs.
Early C19 3-storey house, the ground and first floors of which form No 8, and the upper floor No 9. Rubble-built with remains of render to facade; renewed slate roof and end chimneys with weather coursing. Symmetrical facade with central recessed entrance and modernboarded door. Flanking windows to 3 floors, the upper ones 2-pane modern casements. To the right, on ground and first floors, original 16-pane slightly recessed sash windows; to L, 4-pane early C20 casement windows, that to the ground floor partly boarded-up. One bracket from a late C19 porch canopy remains. Off-centre (L) entrance to upper flat (no.9) from lane to rear; deeply recessed boarded door. Single-storey C19 rubble and slate extension to E.
One of the houses which belonged to Ruskin's guild and consequently of considerable socio-historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings