History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llyn-y-Pandy Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (including attached chapel house, forecourt walls & gate)

A Grade II Listed Building in Gwernaffield with Pantymwyn (Gwernaffield gyda Pantymwyn), Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1811 / 53°10'51"N

Longitude: -3.1949 / 3°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 320243

OS Northings: 365553

OS Grid: SJ202655

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.3QF8

Mapcode Global: WH774.W9TN

Entry Name: Llyn-y-Pandy Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (including attached chapel house, forecourt walls & gate)

Listing Date: 14 June 1995

Last Amended: 14 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16129

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in Llyn-y-pandy on the W side of a by-road running through Pantymwyn to Rhydymwyn.

County: Flintshire

Community: Gwernaffield with Pantymwyn (Gwernaffield gyda Pantymwyn)

Community: Gwernaffield

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Halkyn

History

Built in 1819, this is the earliest Calvinistic Methodist chapel surviving in use in the former county of Flintshire. Originally a 2-door side-entry plan it was modified in the late C19 by blocking one door and building a porch to the other. At the same time the furnishings were replaced.

Exterior

Roughly squared rubble, slate roof, brick chimney to chapel house. Front elevation has gabled brick porch with late C19 door to left, a pair of tall 12-pane sash windows with margin lights and painted stone lintels, and a blocked door to the right. Between the windows is a stone plaque with an inscription, now illegible, and the date 1819. Attached to the right is a lower 2-storey chapel house with C19 door and later C20 windows, attached outbuilding to right. Left hand return elevation is rendered and has two tall multipaned windows with margin lights under arched brick heads.


The rubble retaining wall has a central wrought iron gate with Fleur-de-Lys finials.

Interior

Said to have intact later C19 furnishing scheme.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as the earliest surviving chapel of this type in use in the former county of Flintshire and for the evidence of the early 2-door side-entry plan.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.