This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5929 / 52°35'34"N
Longitude: -3.1579 / 3°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 321660
OS Northings: 300083
OS Grid: SJ216000
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.9R6C
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.G3G1
Entry Name: Bryn Hyfred Hospital
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 16183
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located on a minor road from Forden village, leading to Thornbury township, and approximately 1500m SE of Forden church.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Designed by Joseph Bromfield, architect in 1794 as a House of Industry serving the Montgomery and Welshpool districts, at a cost of £12000 to accommodate 1000 persons. Subsequent alterations and additions in the C20.
Built of red brick in Flemish bond and with slate roofs. Three storeys, the main front facing NW and symmetrical, with a centre block of 9 window bays, and 3-bay end wings slightly set forward, and extending as wings to the rear, each of 5 bays on the inner face. The roofs of the wings are hipped. The main front has a central round-headed entrance doorway with plain pilasters swept out to form brackets for the open pediment. Double panelled doors with overlight. Windows are 12-pane sashes to ground floor, 9-pane to floors 2 and 3, all now horned. Rubbed flat brick arches and stone sills. Inserted doors in bays 2, 5, 11 and 14, with glazed doors. Brick dentilled eaves. The fenestration of the wings is of a similar small pane type. Shallow projections added in the late C19 on the outer faces. The NE wing has C20 raking brick buttresses. Connected to each end of the main block is a 2-storey pavilion block, each with a hipped roof and connected to the main building by corridors. The left block has a 3-bay front, 6-panes to the upper windows, and 12-panes to the ground floor, the other windows are mostly modern. Single storey brick extensions to the NE and rear. The right hand block, containing the theatre for dramatic performances, has recent glazing; 3 windows to the upper floor and broad opening with stone architrave and glazed doors to the ground floor. Projection to the rear.
The interior has been altered to serve hospital requirements.
Included as a fine example of a later C18 public building to meet the requirement of the Poor Law Acts, and designed by a leading architect in the field.
Other nearby listed buildings