This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.293 / 52°17'34"N
Longitude: -4.1735 / 4°10'24"W
OS Eastings: 251866
OS Northings: 268322
OS Grid: SN518683
Mapcode National: GBR 8N.XM1L
Mapcode Global: VH3JF.MM0J
Entry Name: Walled Enclosure at Craiglas Lime Kilns
Listing Date: 30 April 1996
Last Amended: 30 April 1996
Source ID: 17890
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated on the coast, approximately 1.1km NE of the Church of St Ffraed, Llansantffraed.
Community: Llansantffraed (Llansanffraid)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Four early C19 lime kilns and separate walled enclosure marked on the 1846 Tithe Map as part of the Alltlwyd estate. At this time the owner of the kilns was John Hughes and they were being operated by David James and Evan Morgan. One of the kilns was built by Captain William Davies who also built one of the four ship yards in Llansantffraed, Abercleddan, at the mouth of the Cleddan, near Felin For. The last operator of the kilns was David Morgan (1814-1882) of Alltlwyd. Morgan was a churchwarden of the Church of St Ffraed and his enclosed marble gravestone can be found to the SW of the church door. The kilns and walled enclosure are now on land owned by the Dyfed Wildlife Trust.
All four kilns are built into a bank and connected by rubble stone walls supporting the bank. The kilns are of rubble stone approximately 4m high and are, unusually, rectangular in shape. All have open crucibles in poor condition. Kiln 1 ( from the SW) is approximately 7m deep and 8m wide. It has three tall kiln eyes, triangular and tapering within, 2.5m high at the front and 2m deep. The walled bank extends NE approximately 9m to kiln 2. This is similar in size to kiln 1 with similar kiln eyes but has rough rubble stone buttresses on each side of the W corner. The walled bank extends NE approximately 7m to kiln 3. This is similar to kiln 1 but has a rough rubble stone buttress on the NW side of the W corner. It also shares a large kiln eye with kiln 4 as they are only 1m apart. Kiln 4 is smaller that the other three being only 5m wide. It has a rough rubble stone buttress on the NE side of the N corner.
To the SE of kiln 1 is a walled enclosure built of rubble stone approximately 10m by 10m and 3m high. The wall is 0.5m thick and has a large gate of spear-headed iron railings on the NE side.
There are a number of stone and timber structures on the beach which may have acted as quays or shelters for the boats unloading lime.
Included as an unusually complete group of rectangular lime kilns with associated walled enclosure.
Other nearby listed buildings