This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6155 / 51°36'55"N
Longitude: -4.941 / 4°56'27"W
OS Eastings: 196486
OS Northings: 194844
OS Grid: SR964948
Mapcode National: GBR G8.J0NL
Mapcode Global: VH1SD.9NRD
Plus Code: 9C3QJ385+6J
Entry Name: Former schoolroom wing to the Old Rectory
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 8 February 1996
Source ID: 17976
Building Class: Education
Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Formerly listed as 'Rectory'.
At S side of the road entering Bosherston village from the Pembroke direction.
A late C 18 house, built since 1782. It remained a parsonage until very recently.
Exterior: Two storeys and cellar, three-windows range to front, facing N. Rendered rubble masonry. Brick dentils at eaves plus large block-brackets irregularly positioned to support rainwater gutters at front eaves. Six-pane sash windows with recessed frames. The front windows except at centre are tripartite with two mullions and narrow two-pane side sashes. Hipped slate roof. End chimneys. Rubble masonry garden wall at front with a mounting block at the left entrance gate.
Symmetrical lateral stone staircases of approx. 1.2 m rise to the front-door landing, with wrought-iron railings. Arched doorway deep-set with fanlight. Moulded archivolt. Thin sunk-panel pilasters.
Schoolroom wing of two storeys, built in 1838, set well back from the frontage at W. A later and larger servants' wing in plain limestone masonry at E, all pre-1864. The latter wing is a two-window range with six-pane sash windows in brick-dressed openings, slightly set back from the main block. Rear service wing at side of kitchen, with dairy.
Interior: Double-pile and double-fronted plan with full-depth hallway including dogleg staircase. Original well-proportioned flights with simple square-section balustrade. Landing window at rear, slightly off-centre. Very high ceilings. Dining and drawing rooms at front. Plan altered in 1838 to give access to the new schoolroom. Front left and right bedrooms have original fireplaces, that at the left being complete and with unusual dust-flues from smoke-shelf. Windows throughout have inside folding shutters.
Listed as a fine late-Georgian parsonage.
References: Campbell Estate Survey (1782). NLW MS Estate Maps vol. 87
Bosherston Tithe Survey (1839) parcel 138
6" OS 1864
Inf. from Rev. J H Richards, incl. Frances Allen's Diary 1833-40.
Dyfed Arch. Trust S&M PRN 6988
Other nearby listed buildings