This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6343 / 51°38'3"N
Longitude: -4.9557 / 4°57'20"W
OS Eastings: 195551
OS Northings: 196968
OS Grid: SR955969
Mapcode National: GBR G8.02R1
Mapcode Global: VH1SD.16Z0
Plus Code: 9C3QJ2MV+PP
Entry Name: Smithy at Forge Cottage
Listing Date: 8 February 1996
Last Amended: 8 February 1996
Source ID: 17989
Building Class: Commercial
Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)
Locality: St Twynnells
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Adjacent to Forge cottage, at N.
Smithy believed to have been set up by Dick Williams (1854-1930) in c.1875, and used for the Stackpole Estate. Several of his sons followed in the same trade and may have been apprenticed to their father here. One set up a smithy at Cheriton.
Description: Large single-room smithy built at N of Forge Cottage. Two blacksmith's hearths sharing a W gable chimney. Partially rough-cast rendered externally together with the house, but plain rubble masonry at far side and rear. Four-bay slate covered roof with ridge-vents. Short brick chimney. Trusses with tiebeams and collar beams. Small windows at N and E only, with workbenches at sills. Cobbled floor. Large entrance doorway, originally open, at SE corner facing the house.
The hearth at the N of the two appears to be the earlier. It is complete with bellows and tuyere, but the supporting frame for the bellows is missing. The hearth at the S is set at an angle and has an extraordinary brick arched flue into the chimney. Elm-block set in the floor for a (missing) anvil, at left. Bellows with tuyere at rear, the supporting frame broken. Broken stone bosh at right. Both hearths are still full of breeze. Bars and racks for tools on the walls.
A circular cast-iron plate with a central hole, for supporting wheels for banding, lies in the garden in front of the house.
Listed as a good example of a village smithy with two nearly complete hearths.
References: Local information (Mr and Mrs Nicholas)
Rev. J H Richards, St Twvnnells Parish Registers Index (1992)
Other nearby listed buildings