This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6939 / 51°41'37"N
Longitude: -5.2869 / 5°17'12"W
OS Eastings: 172932
OS Northings: 204574
OS Grid: SM729045
Mapcode National: GBR G0.MCBS
Mapcode Global: VH0VC.9PVB
Entry Name: Skokholm Lighthouse with enclosure walls and stores building
Listing Date: 29 March 1996
Last Amended: 10 December 1997
Source ID: 18026
Building Class: Maritime
Location: At the SW end of Skokholm Island.
Community: Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd)
Locality: Skokholm Island
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The lighthouse is dated 1915, the last tower of traditional construction built by Trinity House. Designed by Sir Thomas Mathews, Engineer-in-Chief to Trinity House between 1892 and 1915. Its optic was replaced in the early 1970s, and the lighthouse is now powered by electricity and automatically operated.
The buildings comprise a tower rising from the square accommodation block, set in a whitewashed walled enclosure which also contains a stores building at NE corner. The former separate engineers' accommodation has been demolished. Main building is white stucco, symmetrically designed with 2-storey flat-roofed square accommodation block, with slightly advanced central entrance bay on the NE front from which rises the octagonal tower. Plinth and heavy 2-step cornice, the upper part rounded, with parapet. 2 corniced side-wall stacks. Projecting flat-roofed central porch with similar cornice and blocking course, narrow front window and side framed ledged doors with overlights. Narrow window above the porch, and Trinity House arms in relief above. Windows are all renewed in original openings, casements with top-lights. 2-light window on each floor to either side. Tower is broached from square to octagonal at base and rises for a single stage with recessed single windows in alternate faces. Heavy ogee cornice to lantern walk-way which has cast iron railings to a standard Trinity House design of column shafts, square blocks above and small ogee finials. Large lantern has cast-iron fluted circular base under large-paned cased iron lattice glazing, and shallow conical roof with cylindrical domed cowl and weathervane. Left side has stair-light at mid height and 2 ground floor 2-light windows. Right side has one single light to first floor left, blocked door to ground floor left and 2-light window to right. Rear has three upper 2-light windows, centre ground floor door with two 2-light windows left, one 2-light and one single-light right.
Square enclosure with whitewashed rubble walls and whitewashed rounded copings, the walls ramped down at the sides to follow slope. 2 stuccoed gatepiers.
Store is similar in style, one storey, flat roofed with two doors to front with overlights and one window, one similar door to SE end and window at NW end, 2-light with single top-light. Rear C20 double doors to left.
A tablet over the entrance records: 'This lighthouse and fog signal station were erected by the Corporation of Trinity House in the year 1915. Field Marshal His Royal Highness The Duke of Connaught, Master, Captain Sir H. Acton Blake KCVO, Deputy Master, Sir Thomas Mathews, Engineer in Chief.' Central lobby gives access to engine room on seaward side, accommodation to W. Stone mural stair to tower, with lotus design newels to cast iron rails. Cast-iron tube (formerly housing weights for clock-work rotative mechanism) the full height of the tower. Radial beams support lantern floor. Cast-iron stair up to lantern. Electrically lit and operated optic enclosed by red filters was installed in early 1970's. The tower staircase gives direct access at first floor level to the first floor of the keepers' accommodation (which also has a secondary staircase).
Included as an unaltered Trinity House-commissioned traditional lighthouse (the last of its kind to be built in Britain).