This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.576 / 51°34'33"N
Longitude: -2.9853 / 2°59'7"W
OS Eastings: 331813
OS Northings: 186813
OS Grid: ST318868
Mapcode National: GBR J6.CV3G
Mapcode Global: VH7BD.6NM5
Entry Name: St Michael's Roman Catholic Church
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source ID: 18175
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on the corner of Clarence Street and St Michael's Street.
Community: Pillgwenlly (Pilgwenlli)
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Designed by W Garner, foundation stone was laid in 1886 and the church opened in 1887. Paid for by public subscription and built by volunteer Irish immigrant labourers.
Late C19 church in Gothic style, consisting of nave, continuous N and S aisles, and tower on SW corner. Constructed in coursed, Pennant sandstone with Bathstone dressings beneath a slated roof with two copper ventilators with conical roofs. Clerestory lit by six lancet windows with cusped heads. Lean-to, single storey aisles, lit by six, simple, two-light traceried windows. The W window is large, four-light with simple 'Y' tracery. Small projecting W porch with cusped outer door carried on engaged columns. Slender, square, three stage tower. Lower two stages in coursed Pennant stone. Pointed doorway on S side beneath canopied niche containing a statue of St Michael. Upper stage in Bathstone, base decorated with blind arcaded frieze with ballflowers above. Engaged octagonal shafts set on corners of tower rise to plain pinnacles with short, Bathstone spire. Narrow, louvered, cusped-headed belfry lights set on each face of tower. The E end has large traceried, four-light window similar to that of the W elevation.
Open scissor-framed roof with arched principles. Arcaded aisles in Early English style with richly moulded arches and capitals, supported on simple round columns. Timber screen in Jacobethan style to W end beneath organ loft. Retains complete set of high quality stained glass windows, installed in 1894, manufactured by Mayer of Munich. Modern furnishings.
Listed grade II as a good example of a late C19 Roman Catholic church notable for its surviving high quality stained glass and strong architectural character with well detailed interior and important townscape value.
Other nearby listed buildings