History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone, Mona Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Menai Bridge, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2234 / 53°13'24"N

Longitude: -4.1659 / 4°9'57"W

OS Eastings: 255498

OS Northings: 371786

OS Grid: SH554717

Mapcode National: GBR 5N.0VY8

Mapcode Global: WH546.Z7DP

Entry Name: Milestone, Mona Road

Listing Date: 18 July 1997

Last Amended: 18 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18559

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located on the east side of Mona Road, being the first milestone on the Anglesey side of the A5. Abutting the wall to the north of the gateway to St. Mary's Church.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)

Community: Menai Bridge

Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Menai Bridge

History

Early C19, designed by Thomas Telford. After the Act of Union in 1801 an improved road system was required to link London with Dublin. In 1815 Thomas Telford was appointed to survey the route between London and Holyhead. The road was completed in 1832. The milestone was probably erected following the completion of the Menai Suspension Bridge in 1826.

Exterior

Dressed granite slab with shaped (pointed) top and chamfered sides.
Cast-iron plate with lettering reading: HOLY- / HEAD / 22 / MONA / 9 / BANGOR / 3

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of a Telford milestone on the A5, retaining the original cast-iron plate.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II St. Mary's Church
    In an elevated position on a rocky outcrop above the town, set back from the corner of Telford Road and Mona Road, N of the Menai Suspension Bridge.
  • II Bryn Lwyd
    In an elevated position set above the NW side of Bridge Street opposite the English Presbyterian Chapel.
  • II Craig yr Halen
    Located in grounds at the lower end of Menai Bridge off Beach Road, SW of the Anglesey Arms Hotel
  • II New Street
    New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.
  • II New Street
    New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.
  • II Capel Mawr Chapel House
    Within the grounds and S of Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel, at the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.
  • II English Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the south side of Bridge Street, next to the Victoria Hotel.
  • II* Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.