History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brynberian Independent Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Eglwyswrw, Pembrokeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9824 / 51°58'56"N

Longitude: -4.7642 / 4°45'51"W

OS Eastings: 210272

OS Northings: 235159

OS Grid: SN102351

Mapcode National: GBR CV.K8XZ

Mapcode Global: VH2N6.CFQM

Plus Code: 9C3QX6JP+X8

Entry Name: Brynberian Independent Chapel

Listing Date: 10 December 1997

Last Amended: 10 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19160

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in Brynberian village some 150 m S of the Post Office.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Crymych

Community: Eglwyswrw

Community: Eglwyswrw

Locality: Brynberian

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in


Independent chapel rebuilt in 1842-3, altered 1882-4. Minor alterations 1907 and 1961. The cause was a very early foundation from Llechryd, in 1690, but it is uncertain when the first chapel was built. Another was built in 1808. One of the first quarterly meetings of the Independents was held at Brynberian in 1778. From Brynberian, branches were established in Newport, Felindre Farchog, Maenclochog, Bethesda, Keyston and Pontgynon.


Squared rubble stone with slate eaves roof, paired brackets to eaves with fretted roundel pattern on eaves board. Lateral facade with two large centre windows and two outer doors, all arched with painted Cilgerran stone recessed voussoirs. Roundel plaque in centre `Brynberian Independent Chapel Built 1690, Rebuilt 1808, Rebuilt 1843, Restored 1882, Restored 1961. Rev. E. Lewis Minister'. Windows are small-paned with Gothic glazing bars to heads, matched in door fanlights. Double 4-panel C20 doors. Left end wall is clad in zinc sheet, one gallery light with later C19 sash. Right end has one similar window. Rear has two long flat-headed windows.


Interior of 1882-4, pews in double centre block and block each side. Plain benches to great seat, with ball finials. Pulpit with canted front, diagonal-cross pattern to panels. Steps up each side with ball-finials to newels. Plaster pulpit-back with console brackets to arched head. Gallery on three sides, on fluted iron columns. Curved angles, cornice under long horizontal panels, each side with small square centre panel. Centre front has clock. Lobbies under gallery ends with internal window, coloured and etched glass. C20 ceiling cladding.

Reasons for Listing

A substantial earlier C19 chapel with long-wall facade, historically important as an early foundation in the region.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Mill building at Felin Bryn
    Situated at N end of track, beyond Felin Bryn house, running N from B4329 just E of Brynberian bridge.
  • II Outbuilding to E of Felin Bryn
    Situated on E side of grassed courtyard in front of Felin Bryn.
  • II Penrhiwlas Isaf
    Situated by Tirnewydd, down dead-end lane running S from point some 800m E of Llwynihirion crossroads.
  • II Pound at Newfoundland
    Situated on SE side of B 4329 opposite Newfoundland, about 1 km NE of Brynberian Bridge.
  • II Penbanc
    On the south side of the B4329 approximately 1.2km SW of Crosswell, set within its own enclosure to the west of a private drive to Maes Y Bryn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.