This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5304 / 51°31'49"N
Longitude: -3.6944 / 3°41'39"W
OS Eastings: 282562
OS Northings: 182639
OS Grid: SS825826
Mapcode National: GBR H7.GX06
Mapcode Global: VH5H8.XS8N
Entry Name: Group of 4 chest tomb in churchyard of St James, Pyle
Listing Date: 2 January 1998
Last Amended: 2 January 1998
Source ID: 19172
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The church of St James stands at the N end of Pyle. The group is set against the entrance path from the road to the S porch, approximately 6m S of the nave. The character of the churchyard is notable
Community: Pyle (Y Pîl)
Built-Up Area: Pyle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The group is mostly early C19, the finest, (a) constructed presumably after the death of D Richards after 1823.
The group of four tombs consist of one (a) at the E, and 3 (b, c and d) forming a row immediately to the W of the first, described from N to S:
(a) Limestone. The chest is set on a stone base, with moulded plinth and fluted corners, and is capped with a ledger slab. The sides are carved with a boldly moulded oval, with fan corners, and bears on the N, a well cut inscription on the cushioned face to David Richards of Merthyr, d. 1823, and Margaret Morgan of Pyle, d. 1828.
(b) Sandstone. Chest tomb similar to the Rees Williams monument to the E, but raised on 2 steps, to Catherine Powell, d.1843, and Jehosaphat, her son, d.1909 added.
(c) Sandstone. A plain slab sided chest tomb, the end panels moulded top and bottom, and a hipped ledger slab, to Jehosaphat Powell of Lanmi(hangel), d.1819, with other names added.
(d) Welsh blue slate. Chest tomb with reeded corners and moulded ledger slab, alls set on a stone base, to Elizabeth Moses, daughter of J. Powell, d. 1831. Very fine lettering.
Included as a fine group of an early C19 chest tombs, with finely cut lettering. Of group value with the Grade I St James' Church.
Other nearby listed buildings