History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Accommodation Bridge over the former Duffryn Llynvi and Porthcawl Railway

A Grade II Listed Building in Pyle, Bridgend

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5258 / 51°31'32"N

Longitude: -3.6733 / 3°40'23"W

OS Eastings: 284013

OS Northings: 182090

OS Grid: SS840820

Mapcode National: GBR H8.H2RL

Mapcode Global: VH5H9.8XX6

Entry Name: Accommodation Bridge over the former Duffryn Llynvi and Porthcawl Railway

Listing Date: 2 January 1998

Last Amended: 2 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19181

Building Class: Transport

Location: The bridge now spans the walk formed along the track of the railway on the W side of the Woodlands Park estate, carrying a farm track. It lies approximately 100m S of the S corner of the estate.

County: Bridgend

Town: Cynffig

Community: Pyle (Y Pîl)

Community: Cynffig

Locality: Kenfig Hill

Built-Up Area: Pyle

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Pyle

History

The Duffryn, Llynvi and Porthcawl tramway was built to carry coal, and later spelter and ironstone, from Caerau at the head of the Llynfi Valley through Maesteg, Tondu and Kenfig Hill to the seaport at Porthcawl, a total of about 27 kilometres. After the authorising Act of Parliament of 1825, work started in 1826 and it was opened in 1828, being converted from being horse-drawn to steam in 1847. The engineer was John Hodgkinson. It was of 4ft 6in (1.37 metres) gauge, comprising iron fish-bellied rails between 0.9 metres and 1.21 metres long held by chairs anchored to stones, and laid to a gradient of 1:180. Stones were originally laid down the centre for horses, and a path to the side for the hauliers.

Exterior

The bridge is built entirely of rock-faced local stone, and consists of a half-round arch spanning between battered retaining walls giving a quasi-horseshoe form. The arch is of regularly sized rock-faced voussoirs, and the flush parapet has stone-on-edge copings between slight end pilasters. The revetting walls are coped on a steep angle from the base of the parapet to near ground level each side. The decking is now a concrete slab.

Reasons for Listing

Included as one of the few significant remains of this historically important railway line, and little altered since its erection.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.