Rees Williams monument in the churchyard, St James church.
A Grade II Listed Building in Pyle, Bridgend
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Upload Photo »
Latitude: 51.5304 / 51°31'49"N
Longitude: -3.6943 / 3°41'39"W
OS Eastings: 282568
OS Northings: 182642
OS Grid: SS825826
Mapcode National: GBR H7.GX1H
Mapcode Global: VH5H8.XSBM
Entry Name: Rees Williams monument in the churchyard, St James church.
Listing Date: 2 January 1998
Last Amended: 2 January 1998
Source ID: 19184
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The monument is set besides the path, approximately half way between the entrance gate to the churchyard, and the S porch. The character of the churchyard is notable for its tombs.
Community: Pyle (Y Pîl)
Built-Up Area: Pyle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
A churchyard monument of the mid C19.
Sandstone. A chest tomb with end pilaster blocks and side panels with a raised central block and an edge-moulded ledger slab, all raisd on 3 steps, to Rees Williams of Tylanyliast (?), d.1832, the wife of Hopkin Williams, d. c1840 aged 63 with other names added, and Rees Williams of New Park, their son d.1908, added to the end panel.
Reasons for Listing
Included as a good example of a churchyard monument of the early-mid C19. Of group value with the Grade I St James' Church.
Other nearby listed buildings
Group of 4 chest tomb in churchyard of St James, Pyle
The church of St James stands at the N end of Pyle. The group is set against the entrance path from the road to the S porch, approximately 6m S of the nave. The character of the churchyard is notable
Two chest tombs set against the E churchyard wall, Church of St James.
The two tombs are set in a row immediately within the entrance gate and on the S side of the path to the S porch. The character of the churchyard is notable for its tombs.
Church of St James, Pyle with Kenfig
The parish church of St James, Pyle, stands in its own churchyard N of the village centre, on the road to Margam.
Churchyard Cross in St James' churchyard, Pyle
The church of St James is at the N end of the village of Pyle. The churchyard cross is set approximately 9m S of the S porch.
Two chest tombs in the churchyard, St James Church
The pair of tombs are set in a row, approximately 5m SW of the S porch. The character of the churchyard is notable for its fine tombs.
Morgan monument in St James' churchyard, Pyle
The church of St James lies at the N end of the village of Pyle. The Thomas monument stands in the churchyard, approximately 7m SW of the W tower. The character of the churchyard is notable for its t
Mile marker on A48, Pyle to Margam Road
Set at the back of the pavement, 160m S of the railway overbridge.
Bridge near Llanmihangel Mill
The bridge carries a track over the Afon Cynffig to the SE of Llanmihangel Mill Farm.