History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2214 / 53°13'16"N

Longitude: -4.2084 / 4°12'30"W

OS Eastings: 252655

OS Northings: 371646

OS Grid: SH526716

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.145S

Mapcode Global: WH546.B978

Entry Name: Milestone

Listing Date: 21 April 1998

Last Amended: 21 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19661

Building Class: Transport

Location: In the centre of Llanfairpwll, set into the wall outside Ty Coch, on the N side of Holyhead Road, opposite Ty Gwyn Public House.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Locality: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Built-Up Area: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Following the Act of Union in 1801 a programme to improve the roads between the two capital cities of London and Dublin was initiated. In 1811 Thomas Telford was commissioned to undertake a survey of the roads between London and Holyhead and in 1817 began work on the northern stretch of the road at Shrewsbury. As well as overseeing the work, Thomas Telford also designed every detail of the road, and this milestone is one of a number designed for it c.1817-32.

Exterior

Dressed granite slab, set into wall, with shallow triangular head and raking chamfered sides. Cast iron inset plate with lettering reading: HOLY- / HEAD / 20 / MONA / 7 / BANGOR / 5.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of one of Telford's milestones retaining its cast iron plate.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II War Memorial
    In a prominent location in the centre of the village, at the edge of the car park of James Pringles, S side of Holyhead Road.
  • II Rhos y Gad Chapel and schoolrooms.
    In a conspicuous location on the NW side of Ffordd Penmynydd, close to the centre of the village.
  • II Tregarne
    Sited on the S side of A4080(T) Holyhead Road, close to the centre of the village, SW of the junior school.
  • II* Aberbraint
    Set back from the road within grounds on the NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c.0.5km from the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Aberbraint Lodge
    Located on the NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c. 0.5km from the Llanfair Toll House.
  • II Pen yr Allt
    Located on the NW side of the A4080 - Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the Grand Lodge to Plas Newydd.
  • II Entrance Archways, at Grand Lodge, Plas Newydd
    The N entrance to Plas Newydd, 1.7km N of the house, leading off the S side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.
  • II Grand Lodge of Plas Newydd
    Set back slightly on the S side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, behind the walls of Plas Newydd and at the entrance to the Grand Drive.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.