This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1298 / 53°7'47"N
Longitude: -3.0665 / 3°3'59"W
OS Eastings: 328738
OS Northings: 359717
OS Grid: SJ287597
Mapcode National: GBR 72.6ZK4
Mapcode Global: WH77D.VLYG
Entry Name: Gazebo at Plas Teg
Listing Date: 6 May 1998
Last Amended: 6 May 1998
Source ID: 19762
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Immediately E of Plas Teg.
Community: Hope (Yr Hob)
Locality: Plas Teg
Traditional County: Flintshire
Forecourt gazebo built c1610 as part of the Plas Teg complex and originally one of a pair (the other, to the N, rebuilt 1996). The building originally formed a part-open lodge at the corner of the main forecourt, and was attached to its low rubble walls (now demolished) to the W and N. The structure was open to the S and part of the E sides, where it faced a walled garden: this arrangement is shown in a surviving early C18 drawing. It therefore performed the dual role of forecourt tower and garden gazebo and formed, together with its pair, an important part of the formal garden layout known to have been associated with Plas Teg.
Plas Teg was built c1610 by Sir John Trevor I as his country seat and was intended chiefly for lavish entertaining; it belongs to a class of highly sophisticated court-circle houses at the forefront of contemporary architectural expression. Whilst the execution is evidently local work, the house's advanced plan-form, bold, symmetrical facade and orientation betray a developed understanding of Serlio's architectural precepts and place the house within a small group of contemporary houses by a new generation of master mason/architects affiliated with the court.
Part-open gazebo of square plan with pyramidal slate roof; constructed of thin, rough-dressed sandstone blocks with large squared quoins of blue/grey freestone and sandstone dressings. The S and part of the E sides are open, with a fine Tuscan column supporting the roof at the SE corner; this has a tall base. Facing the front is a 2-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window with moulded label, whilst the closed sides have small decorative lights with shaped heads. Part of the adjoining forecourt wall (facing the house) has recently been rebuilt (c1989).
Original lime/hair plastered upper walls (the lower sections perhaps originally panelled). Around the windows survive figurative and cartoon graffiti in pencil which relate to war-time occupation by the American forces (1944).
Included at Grade II* for its special architectural importance as a fine and scarce example of an early Jacobean forecourt gazebo, and as an integral component of the original Plas Teg design.
Group value with Plas Teg.
Other nearby listed buildings