This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4914 / 51°29'29"N
Longitude: -3.1686 / 3°10'6"W
OS Eastings: 318967
OS Northings: 177590
OS Grid: ST189775
Mapcode National: GBR KLH.HB
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.1S81
Entry Name: Plasnewydd Presbyterian Church and attached Hall
Listing Date: 9 September 1998
Last Amended: 24 May 2002
Source ID: 20504
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the corner of Plasnewydd Square and Keppoch Street.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The school bears the date 28 July 1886, and is by J. H. Phillips, architect; the contractor was D Thomas. The chapel dates from 1901, the earliest work of W. Beddoe Rees (in collaboration with J. H. James).
Gothic chapel with attached hall to rear. Pennant stone in low courses, bathstone dressings and banding; slate roofs. The chapel faces Plasnewydd Square. Gabled front of 3 bays with shallow buttresses; corbelled bathstone pinnacle to centre; pair of 2-light Gothic windows with vesicas to heads; hoodmoulds with floral stops. Broad Gothic doorway with hollow chamfer with floral panels; hoodmould with finial; boarded doors. Trefoil windows to side bays.
Front flanked by stair projections with single window to upper level, and paired Gothic windows to ground floors. Left projection has hipped roof, but R projection has develops into polygonal bell turret; upper stage and flared spirelet in bathstone ashlar with lucarnes to spirelet, band of quatrefoil panelling with gargoyles to angles; lancets.
Elevation to Keppoch Street has 4 bays articulated by shallow buttresses, and ashlar band between floors. At upper level, 2-light windows with Gothic heads; below, 2-light windows with cusped heads. South elevation has simpler windows treatment, no banding, red brick buttresses and vestry.
To rear of chapel, facing Keppoch Street is hall. Pennant Stone and bathstone dressings; slate roof. Gabled front with group of 3 lancets (small oculus above) and flanking shallow buttresses. To sides, roof sweeps down over aisles, each with lancet window and Gothic doorway with boarded door.
Said to have gallery on 3 sides with classical detailing supported on iron columns with classical capitals; bowed frontal with pierced metal patterning. Tall Composite columns support wooden boarded ceiling, segmental in section over body of chapel, and flat over galleries. Concave timber frontal to organ gallery; bowed pews.
Listed as a fine well-detailed chapel by a prominent architect on an important site on the corner of Plasnewydd Square.
Other nearby listed buildings