This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4431 / 51°26'35"N
Longitude: -3.601 / 3°36'3"W
OS Eastings: 288826
OS Northings: 172779
OS Grid: SS888727
Mapcode National: GBR HC.N8Y7
Mapcode Global: VH5HQ.JZNM
Entry Name: Entrance gateway with flanking wall at Dunraven House
Listing Date: 3 March 1999
Last Amended: 3 March 1999
Source ID: 21797
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located in a very prominent position at Dunraven Park, on the top edge of a hill which slopes down sharply to the N. The ruins of the house survive to the S and W.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Bride's Major (Saint-y-Brid)
Community: St Brides Major
Locality: Dunraven Park
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dunraven Castle, an early C19 castellated gothic-style mansion, was situated on a cliff top overlooking the sea. The site has a long and almost continuous history, starting as an Iron Age hillfort. A Norman castle here was awarded to the de Londres family of Ogmore, and then to the Butlers. It was probably rebuilt in the C15 as a manor house, and recorded thus by Leland in the 1530s as a ‘the manor place’. It is shown in an engraving of c 1776 with features such as mullioned windows. At this time it is said to have included many of the older elements including a chapel and burial place. It passed to the Vaughans, then to the Wyndham family in the C16, and finally to the Earls of Dunraven.
The castle was rebuilt in 1802-6 by Thomas Wyndham of Clearwell Castle, Gloucestershire, as a hunting seat. The design was drawn up by Mrs Wyndham, though it appears to be based on the design for Clearwell Castle, by Roger Morris, 1728. It was remodelled in 1858 by Egbert Moxham, for Caroline Wyndham; the central tower was replaced by a conservatory and the N and S wings were raised. It was extended with a tower and wing on the seaward side by George Devey in 1886-8. The castle was demolished in 1962, having been used as a hotel, and only the footings survive.
The park was a deer park in the C17. The park walls, lodges, entrances and drives are probably contemporary with the rebuilding of the house in 1802-6. The sea walks in the park were designed by Lord Dunraven in 1840.
The entrance gateway is C19, and may be contemporary with the rebuilding of the house by the Wyndhams in 1802-6.
Gatehouse and flanking wall of rendered rubble, much of the render having fallen away. Wide entrance with segmental arch and limestone dressings. Hoodmould to E side of arch, 2 orders of mouldings to W side. Diagonal buttress with offsets to NE angle. The flanking wall runs S from the SE angle of the gatehouse. Filleted saddleback coping to wall top.
Listed as the only fully-standing remains of Dunraven House. The very prominent position makes the gateway an important landmark, imparting character to the park.
Group value with other listed items at Dunraven Park.
Other nearby listed buildings