This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8226 / 51°49'21"N
Longitude: -2.9201 / 2°55'12"W
OS Eastings: 336681
OS Northings: 214170
OS Grid: SO366141
Mapcode National: GBR F9.WB9R
Mapcode Global: VH798.BGM5
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 15 March 2000
Last Amended: 15 March 2000
Source ID: 23011
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to N of parish church, on E side of lane.
Community: Llanarth (Llan-arth)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Former parsonage mostly rebuilt in 1830-2 to designs by Adolphus Fairchild of Abergavenny. There was an older parsonage on the site, but only a small part was kept as the W end of the service wing to the NW of the present house. It cost £475. Parsonage until 1897, then sold to family of last vicar, who owned it until 1947. The 1830 plans show a rectangular plan with dining-room, library and drawing-room to front, vestibule, stair-hall and butler's room behind. Then in new-built part of rear wing (E end) the kitchen, dairy and brew-house with surviving part of the old building incorporated as service rooms at the W end. The upper floor was to be servants' room and granary.
House, whitewashed stucco with hipped roof, and two red brick ridge stacks. Flat eaves. Two-storey, 3-window range. First floor square centre 12-pane sash between broad tripartite 3-12-3 pane sashes. Ground floor left 4-16-4-pane below, centre glazed double door, big hipped square bay to right (remade in C20) with French windows and side lights to front, narrow lights to sides.. Renewed stone sills. E end wall has 12-pane window to left, C20 porch with square piers and pediment to right, square 12-pane window over. North return wall has 12-pane sash to ground floor left and stair light each floor to right, top one arch-headed, both with marginal glazing bars. Gable end of NW wing has leaded casement pair in attic, 3-light first floor window and 4-light ground floor window, both with hoodmoulds. Brick sides. Within porch, half-glazed door, panelled sides.
Spine corridor with stairs to N, principal rooms S. Inner half-glazed door at E end, 6-panel doors, stairs with stick balusters and turned newels.
Listed as a well-preserved and well-documented former rectory of the early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings