History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

,70,Ffordd Rhedyw (Rhedyw Road),Llanllyfni,Caernarfon,,LL54 6SG,23661

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanllyfni, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0418 / 53°2'30"N

Longitude: -4.2832 / 4°16'59"W

OS Eastings: 247023

OS Northings: 351833

OS Grid: SH470518

Mapcode National: GBR 5H.DJ00

Mapcode Global: WH43T.5SMY

Entry Name: ,70,Ffordd Rhedyw (Rhedyw Road),Llanllyfni,Caernarfon,,LL54 6SG,23661

Listing Date: 21 July 2000

Last Amended: 21 July 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23661

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located in centre of village on the east side of Ffordd Rhedyw (Rhedyw Road).

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Llanllyfni

Community: Llanllyfni

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llanllyfni

History

Dated 1836, the house is one of the earliest surviving buildings erected in Llanllyfni after the creation of the turnpike road in the 1820s.

Exterior

Irregularly coursed rubblestone, roughcast to front and rendered to right gable end; slate slab roof with integral end stacks, left rebuilt. 2 storeys with single-storey gabled range to rear forming short T-plan. 3-window front has 9-paned glazing bar sash to left on first floor, 4-paned sashes to right on ground and first floors and C20 timber window to left on ground floor. Central opening on first floor is blind with a slate inscription stone directly below reading "GWYNDY/ Huw ab Ioan a biau-y nenbren/ Mewn iawnbris meddianau/ Ei ddirwynedig ddiwrnodau/ A so yn hir iu fwynhau/ Ni ddau allom Ddiollwr-i floedd/ Afl wyddiant a dwndwr/ Ond oes deg ir dyn di stwr/ Wna ger bron gyuir brynwr/ 1836" [WHITE HOUSE/ Huw the son of Ioan owns the roof beam/ In compensation for his possession/ May his endless days/ For him be long to enjoy/ The special man (?God) will not come to us to shout/ Misfortune and Disquiet/ But calm for the quiet man (in) the presence of an honest buyer/ 1836"]. Central slightly recessed entrance has mid-C20 door.

Interior

Not inspected at time of Survey.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a dated house erected in the first phase of Llanllyfni's expansion after the creation of the turnpike road in the 1820s and retaining its early C19 character.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bryn Eglwys
    Located in the village of Llanllyfni on the south-east side of Ffordd Rhedyw (Rhedyw Road) directly opposite the Church of St Rhedyw.
  • II* Church of St Rhedyw
    Prominently sited on a corner on Ffordd Rhedyw within a raised rubble-walled churchyard on sloping ground down towards the Afon Lyfni.
  • II Milestone
    Located on the south-east side of Ffordd Rhedyw (Rhedyw Road) in Llanllyfni to the north-east of the Church of St Rhedyw; set in a rubblestone boundary wall.
  • II Pigsties at Dol-wenith
    Situated to the north-west of Dol-wenith.
  • II Former Cowhouse to Dol-wenith
    Situated immediately to the north of Dol-wenith.
  • II Dol-wenith
    Located in a low-land position on the eastern side of Lon ty Gwyn, a minor no-through road running eastwards from Llanllyfni.
  • II Coedcae-du
    Located at the end of a track, directly below the embankment of the former London and North-West Railway, approximately 0.4km south-east of Llanllyfni.
  • II Maes Mawr
    Located in a low-land setting at the end of a track off Lon Ty Gwyn approximately 0.5km south-east of Llanllyfni.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.