This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7027 / 51°42'9"N
Longitude: -2.6709 / 2°40'15"W
OS Eastings: 353735
OS Northings: 200652
OS Grid: SO537006
Mapcode National: GBR JM.3WC7
Mapcode Global: VH87F.NGCK
Entry Name: Signal Box at Tintern Station
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 29 September 2000
Source ID: 24042
Building Class: Transport
Location: On a meadow at a loop of the river Wye to N of Tintern Abbey.
Community: Tintern (Tyndyrn)
Locality: Tintern Parva
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A signal box dating probably from 1908 when the Wye Valley Railway was taken over by the Great Western Railway.
A standard McKenzie and Holland design with a stone base for the locking room, a timber framed upper floor fully glazed on three sides and with a Welsh slate roof. Nine 6-pane windows to the front and six to the sides, part is the door on one end. Sliding casements. Gables with horizontal boarding, plain bargeboards and spike finials.
The box is now a schoolroom for the station visitor centre. It was closed in 1960 and the 25 lever McKenzie and Holland frame was removed soon afterwards.
Included as an externally unaltered early C20 railway signal box, and for its group value with the other buildings at Tintern station.
Other nearby listed buildings