This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6091 / 51°36'32"N
Longitude: -3.379 / 3°22'44"W
OS Eastings: 304603
OS Northings: 190925
OS Grid: ST046909
Mapcode National: GBR HN.9YK5
Mapcode Global: VH6DJ.DT0C
Entry Name: Trehafod Memorial Hall and Institute
Listing Date: 26 February 2001
Last Amended: 20 June 2001
Source ID: 24873
Building Class: Institutional
Location: Set back from the road behind iron railings.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Porth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1934 (date on building) partly as a memorial to the 1914-18 war.
A free Art Deco style hall of 2 storeys, with a front of brick and reconstituted stone, and slate roof. Metal-framed windows have thin vertical panes, and incorporate diamond panes to the centre. The front is 3 bays. Pilasters define the central bay, which has a wide recessed entrance with Tuscan columns in antis supporting a plain entablature with relief inscription, and half-lit doors and overlight. The upper storey is double-height with triple windows, of which the upper level have flat brick arches. The outer bays are lower and set back. They have zigzag mouldings to the parapet that continue in the return walls for a single bay, and rusticated brick angle pilasters.
The pitched roof is set back behind the parapet and rises to a flat centre which has 2 ventilators. The sides are pebble-dashed with scattered fenestration. A house is attached set back to the R side, with a lower gabled projection to the L side. The rear is faced in brick.
Simple interior with small rooms in lower storey and stairs on the R side of the entrance vestibule leading to a hall with stage to the upper storey.
Listed for social historical interest, and for the architectural interest of its front, a rare unaltered example of 1930s classicism.
Other nearby listed buildings