This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8275 / 51°49'39"N
Longitude: -2.7808 / 2°46'50"W
OS Eastings: 346288
OS Northings: 214610
OS Grid: SO462146
Mapcode National: GBR FH.W2VM
Mapcode Global: VH79B.RB8C
Plus Code: 9C3VR6H9+2M
Entry Name: Pen-y-cwm
Listing Date: 19 March 2001
Last Amended: 19 March 2001
Source ID: 25027
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 700m E of the main entrance to The Hendre.
Community: Llangattock-Vibon-Avel (Llangatwg Feibion Afel)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Dated 1893. Built as an estate cottage for The Hendre which was the home of the Rolls family who were pioneers of aviation and motoring. The design of this house is repeated as a mirror reflection in Fairoaks, on the N side of the road approximately 400m to the E.
Simple domestic gothic estate cottage. A 2-storey 2-gabled dwelling built of snecked rubble with lightly dressed quoins, wooden window frames with diamond-lattice glazing, slate roof with overhanging eaves and verges, and bargeboarding with remains of apex finials; axial stone chimney stack with 3 tall octagonal chimney pots. T-plan formed by a 3-bay main range with 1-bay rear wing. In the centre is a gabled timber-framed and slate-roofed porch (painted black-and-white) with a corbelled semicircular outer arch, a studded outer door, open square-panelled timber detail to the gable, round-arched openings to the sides, an internal bench and a half-glazed door; and tucked under the eaves above is a very shallow 2-light mullioned window. To the right is a projected gabled bay which has a cross-window at ground floor and a bracketed wooden oriel at 1st floor with similar glazing and a mono-pitched roof. The bay to the left, which has a gable raised over it, has a transomed 3-light window at ground floor and a small 2-light mullioned casement at 1st floor; and between floors is a square plaque carved with a quatrefoil containing Lord Llangattock's monogram "Ll" and the date 1893. The joinery of all the windows is ovolo-moulded. The left gable end has a canted bay window to the ground floor and an oriel above. Rear not inspected.
Listed for the special interest of the well-preserved architectural character of this estate cottage; one of an important series of buildings built by the Hendre estate.
Other nearby listed buildings