This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6695 / 51°40'10"N
Longitude: -4.702 / 4°42'7"W
OS Eastings: 213248
OS Northings: 200202
OS Grid: SN132002
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7XBR
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.G92J
Entry Name: ,32,Victoria Street,,Tenby,,SA70 7DY
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26431
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the E side of Victoria Street some 40m S of the junction with South Cliff Street.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
House of c1876, part of the building development on the South Cliff estate begun in 1864. The Victoria Street site with the W end of the Esplanade was called Ropewalk Fields and houses were building by 1872 when the Victoria Street had 10 houses in progress. The plots for Nos 29-33 were advertised in 1876. Built (and partly owned) by William Davies of Culver Park Tenby, builder. No 32 is notable as the childhood home of the artists Augustus and Gwen John, from 1884 when they moved from Haverfordwest after the death of their mother until 1895 when they went to the Slade art school in London. Augustus John describes the house, then called Victoria House, in his autobiography. Also notable as the house where Herbert M Vaughan wrote The South Wales Squires, published 1926. He was High Sheriff of Cardiganshire 1916-17.
Terraced house, painted stucco with slate roof behind parapet and rendered right end stack. Basement, 3 storeys and attic, 2 bays. Moulded coved cornice just under parapet coping, 2 dormers, 3-storey oriel window to right with 2-4-2-pane sashes and moulded timber cornices. Left has 4-pane sash each floor and recessed 2-panel door with big overlight in stuccoed doorcase with ornate consoles and heavy cornice. Three steps up with iron fleur de lys railings also extended along front to gate at right. Slate steps down to basement door and 2 sash windows.
Included for close historical association with Augustus and Gwen John, two of Wales' most important artists.
Other nearby listed buildings