This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1408 / 53°8'26"N
Longitude: -4.2751 / 4°16'30"W
OS Eastings: 247920
OS Northings: 362820
OS Grid: SH479628
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.65ZF
Mapcode Global: WH43F.9BH1
Entry Name: ,4 Eastgate Street,Caernarfon,Caernarfon,
Listing Date: 3 May 2002
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26588
Building Class: Commercial
Location: At the W end of a row of frontages and adjacent to the bridge linking with the East Gate of the Town Wall.
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the third quarter of the C19 in similar style and probably later than 6-14, which have a slightly different alignment, a higher ridge line, and were probably a single planned development. The building is shown on the 1890 Ordnance Survey and was occupied by a draper in 1895.
Belongs to a group of 4-14 Eastgate Street
A block of shops with dwellings above in eclectic classical style, stucco front walls with slate roofs, slightly lower and hipped to No 4, and roughcast stacks. 3 storeyed details to the middle and upper storeys are consistent although the number of windows in each property is varied. Each property is framed by angle pilasters in middle and upper storeys and articulated by a frieze and deeply moulded cornice forming a sill band to the upper storey. The middle storey windows have moulded architraves with sill band. The upper storey has segmental-headed windows in plain architraves. A moulded eaves cornice comprises brackets alternating with raised quatrefoil panels.
A 4-window range with shop front in the lower storey. The shop front is framed by panelled pilasters incorporating raised diamond panels, and has a wooden fascia (partly missing) with double end brackets and deep bracketed cornice. The doorway is within a splayed central recess where the stallboard is panelled. (The shop windows and door were boarded up at the time of inspection.) In the middle and upper storeys are original 2-light casements beneath fixed overlights in the middle storey, except the R-hand which is replaced with a similar glazing pattern, and 4-pane sash windows in the upper storey. The R end wall is pebble-dashed with an external flue reduced to beneath the eaves, and is built above a lock-up at basement level facing Tanybont (now an Eastern Orthodox chapel). The rear, which has a basement to the lower ground level at the rear, has a projection on the R side.
Listed as a strongly detailed late C19 commercial terrace, and for its contribution to the historic townscape of Eastgate Street, Bangor Street and Bridge Street, which retains a distinctive late C19 commercial character.
Other nearby listed buildings