This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8591 / 51°51'32"N
Longitude: -4.2981 / 4°17'52"W
OS Eastings: 241844
OS Northings: 220336
OS Grid: SN418203
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T4JR
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.GJ4M
Entry Name: ,2,The Esplanade,,,,SA31 1NG
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82111
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated the third house in terrace of 4 E of Penuel Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terrace house, part of matching pair of terraces Nos 1-4 and 5-8 The Esplanade, probably built from 1879, the date on deeds to No 4. Three newly built houses called 1-3 East Parade were advertised in 1879, and in 1881 Mr Hutchings the town surveyor said to a council meeting that he had drawn out plans for Mr Ellis the contractor for new houses on the Parade, but merely to help them get the plans passed, he had not supervised the building. The intersecting oval railings with matching gates were made by Thomas & Clement of Llanelli except for the last on Nos 8-9, similar but by T. Jones of Carmarthen.
No 2 occupied by Mrs Davies 1926, the original railings removed in late C20.
Terraced house, one of a row of 4 originally all similar. Originally each one was as follows: Painted stucco with low-pitched slate roof and red brick chimney stack to left. Deep eaves with paired deep brackets interrupted by window heads. Each house of 2 bays, 2 storeys. First floor has drip course stepping over windows, and sill band, tripartite 2-2-2-pane sash window to left, and 2-pane hornless sash to right. On ground floor canted bay window to left with 2-2-2-pane horned sashes, with thin raised piers with console brackets flanking each window, banded frieze and deep cornice, all broken forward over piers. To right doorcase with arched panels to piers, console brackets and cornice. Door and rectangular overlight. Steep flight of steps down to pavement.
No 2 has had all windows replaced in uPVC, also the door and has lost the front railings and gate.
Included despite loss of windows and door as part of an unusually architectural later C19 pair of terraces, characterising the architecturally ambitious expansion of the town in the later C19.
Other nearby listed buildings