This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4924 / 51°29'32"N
Longitude: -3.2186 / 3°13'6"W
OS Eastings: 315497
OS Northings: 177752
OS Grid: ST154777
Mapcode National: GBR K7G.9Z
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.5RB9
Entry Name: Chapel of St. Michael's College
Listing Date: 27 April 2004
Last Amended: 27 April 2004
Source ID: 82676
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Within St. Michael's College and a part of the quadrangular group.
Community: Llandaff (Llandaf)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1957-9 to replace two bombed ranges of the College which had included the Chapel. Designed by George Pace who was Cathedral Architect at the time and engaged on the rebuilding of the Cathedral after war damage. The design was influenced by Le Corbusier's chapel at Ronchamp.
Local stone rubble walls in an uneven four sided shape. Slate roof, which is little visible from the ground. The side walls are punched through with many small and very small rectangular windows apparently arranged randomly and with only lightly expressed frames. Plain entrance under an asymmetrical gable in a canted wall. Small metal figure of St. Michael by Frank Roper. The whole has a barn-like rather than an ecclesiastical appearance.
Interior not available at resurvey. It is reported as having white plastered walls and ceiling with a coved transition and with the light all coming from the right. Blank white altar wall with Christ in Majesty by Harry Stammers. Fittings by Pace, but with the alter by GF Bodley and some stalls which survived the bombing of the earlier chapel, 1907 by F R Kempson. '...the interior is truly moving...The architect has created a numinous space...without introducing a single evocation of the traditional forms of church architecture'. (Newman, Glamorgan)
Included at II* for its exceptional Modernist architecture as an important post-WWII chapel designed by George Pace, and having historic continuity within the bomb damaged St. Michael's College.
Other nearby listed buildings