This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.994 / 51°59'38"N
Longitude: -3.7935 / 3°47'36"W
OS Eastings: 276954
OS Northings: 234355
OS Grid: SN769343
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JHPQ
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.64CR
Entry Name: ,29,High Street,Llandovery,,,SA20 0PU
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82864
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated adjoining Jubilee Stores roughly 10m W of Bridge Street.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house and shop, part of the group of properties built in the earlier C19 for D Thomas (died 1876) maltster, including Nos 5, 13-15 and 21-29 High Street. It then passed with the other Thomas properties to D. P. Powell. Let as 2 tenancies through C19: the right half to J. Howells printer 1840-4 who was also a beer retailer for a short period, his ale-house here called The Falcon 1841 was at No 25 by 1844. Rented by William Davies, the poet Iolyn Bach, 1844-5 who kept a small private school, and then the Rev E Rees of Salem chapel 1845-6. The left or E half was tenanted by D James, grocer and flour-dealer in 1840s and he moved the The Falcon Inn back here by 1849. By 1866 the inn is not named and the house tenanted by James' widow, grocer. By 1899 bought by Thomas Roberts the grocer and owner of the adjacent Jubilee stores at No 31. He kept the shops for ironmongery in the left half and glassware in the right. Illustrated in the engraving of Thomas Roberts' 'Crown Stores and Steam Bakery' in Llandovery Guide of 1909 showing the shop windows with iron cresting and the roof with a large chimney on the ridge to centre right.
House and shop in terrace row of 3 storeys and 3 bays. Slate gabled roof with red brick chimney stack to left and deep eaves. Painted lined stucco facade with long and short quoins to left and right and lettering in relief capitals between upper floors: IRONMONGERY GLASS AND CHINA STORES. Blank windows to central bay, smaller 2nd floor openings with 9-pane hornless sashes, 12-pane hornless sashes to 1st floor. Shop front across whole of ground floor has 3 moulded pilasters with console brackets and fascia divisions with humped tops framing 2 C20 fascia boards. Two shop windows, smaller to right, recessed door to right of left shopwindow which has thin angle shaft at corner of recess. Plate glass single panes. Early C20 glass shop door with overlights.
Included as a good early C19 town house and shop, retaining good Georgian character, with later detail linking it to Jubilee Stores.
Other nearby listed buildings