This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9939 / 51°59'37"N
Longitude: -3.7797 / 3°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 277902
OS Northings: 234322
OS Grid: SN779343
Mapcode National: GBR Y5.JF33
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.F4NT
Entry Name: ,1 Felindre,Felindre,,
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 23 January 2018
Source ID: 82893
Location: Situated about 1km E of Llandovery on A40 accessed by short drive from corner of A40 and lane to Myddfai.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Principal part of Velindre, an earlier C19 gentry house of the Jones family, now divided into 3. Owned by early C19 by Edward Jones I, attorney, who was living at Llwynhywel in 1830. Edward Jones II, attorney, (1779-1844), 4 times mayor of Llandovery, probably rebuilt it, he was residing at Velindre by 1836.
The house was occupied c1854-68 by Captain (later Lt Col) David E Jones (1826-90) probably brother of Edward Jones III listed as owner 1866-8. In the 1890s Edward Jones had moved to Danyrallt, nearby and the house was tenanted by H P Wardell. By 1899 owned and occupied Edward M Jones, sold by the Jones family in the early C20, occupied by Mrs Mary Williams, farmer 1926, subdivided into 3 in the 1950s.
It would appear that No 2 may be pre C19 as it contains a roof-truss at lower level than the present roofs. No 1 comprises the former principal rooms and staircase, and No 3 the former kitchen and service rooms. An old photograph shows a veranda ouside Nos 1 and 2.
House, painted stucco or roughcast, now divided into 3, Nos 1 to 3 Felindre. Two-storey terrace-like long range of nine bays, divided 2-3-4, i.e. 2 bays to No 1, 3 to No 2, and 4 to No 3. Slate roofs. No 1 has a wing with canted end running E from rear N end. End chimneys to each section in yellow and black brick, later C19 to No 1, and C20 red brick to No 3, No 2 sharing stacks. First floor has nine 16-pane sashes right along, the third window of No 2 being set considerably lower and also in wider bay, marking a kind of division between the main house and service range. Ground floor has floor-length 20-pane sashes to main rooms, one to left of No 1 and 2 in left 2 bays of No 2 which has a door (not aligned with
window above) in third bay.
No 3 has a small 12-pane sash, then a large square 20-pane sash (formerly lighting kitchen) then C20 door with overlight and finally another 12-pane sash. C20 lean-to on right end wall with original small 6-pane window above to left and boxed-out window to right with sloping roof, in angle to lower 2-storey rear wing.
This has 2 upper windows and door between 2 windows, not aligned.
No 2 has a hipped-roofed parallel rear range. The N side of No 1 has rear wing with slate-hung tall side-wall stack, 2 first floor 12-pane sashes over C20 lean-to and entrance door to right. This has original early C19 6-panel door with radiating-bar fanlight in panelled reveal. E end is canted with hipped roof, 3 12-pane sashes above, 3 full-length 15-pane sashes below.
Fine interiors of c1840 in No 1 comprising entrance hall with stair to left at far end and 2 principal ground floor rooms, one facing E with canted bay, the other W. The detail is late Regency, doors are 6-panel with sunk panels and planted thin mouldings, and the shutters match. The doorcases are fine, either with panelled surrounds with horizontal fluting or reeded, some to half-round profile, with square blocks at upper angles, the blocks with varied patterns, and the window reveals match. The hall has a fine elliptical arch with panelled
reveals. The hardwood staircase has broad treads, open well, stick balusters with delicate ramped rail, the rail scrolled at the foot with inlaid octagon motif. Scrolled tread ends. There was a doorway at the foot of the stair into the spine passage of No 2.
NE former dining room, a long room with canted end, has reeded ceiling border with rosettes on squares, a large elliptical-arched sideboard recess on S wall in moulded surround with reeding and rosettes, and panelled soffit to arch. Fireplace on N wall with plain marble hearth and painted timber surround. Panelled shutters to long E windows. NW drawing
room has smaller reeded ceiling border with rosettes and 2 arched recesses on S wall with panelled soffits on S wall in reeded surrounds (presumably originally with fireplace between). Doorcase into hall has reeded surround, the reeding to halfround profiles.
First floor landing has low ceiling with shallow elliptical arch to W, panelled doors to bedrooms. NE room has octagonal domed ceiling, the sides deeply coved around a flat centrepiece, and with narrow flat borders around dome. Reeded raised ribs divide sections of cove and outline edges, with leaf bosses at intersections. Centrepiece has ring of 8 flat circles around an octagon, each bordered with thin string-like moulding.
Doorcases have square upper corner blocks, as do triple windows at E end. Fireplace has reeded pilasters, with oval rosettes above and a raised panel with 2 ovals in centre. C19 grate with coloured tile sides. N bedroom is rectangular with deeply coved ceiling. Reeded small chimneypiece with plain centre and angleblocks. NW bedroom ceiling has square domed ceiling, deeply coved with flat centre panel. Thin moulded border to centre and cornice.
Included as an earlier C19 gentry house to unusual linear plan (albeit subdivided) with good surviving interiors, and single Georgian character externally.
Other nearby listed buildings