This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9399 / 52°56'23"N
Longitude: -4.1411 / 4°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 256210
OS Northings: 340201
OS Grid: SH562402
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVYZ
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CC8K
Entry Name: ,11 Sgwar y Farchnad (High Street),Tremadog,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85303
Location: A terraced house raised above street level to the E of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. Nos 9-13 High Street were built in 2 phases in the mid C19 and are shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey. No 9 is the earlier.
Belongs to a group of 9-13 High Street, Tremadog.
A short terrace of three 2-storey houses with entrances raised above street level, of squared quarried stone laid in regular courses, slate roof and stone stacks.
No 9 is a double-fronted. Rebuilt stone steps lead up to the central entrance, which has a replacement glazed door. Windows are replaced in original openings, except for a blind central upper-storey window. A full-height vertical joint separates Nos 9 and 11, indicating their different dates. No 11 is a narrow single-fronted house. The entrance, on the L side, is reached by replacement slate steps. It has a replacement door and overlight. In the lower storey is a 12-pane horned sash window and in the upper storey a 16-pane hornless sash window. No 13 is a double-fronted. The central entrance is reached by replacement slate steps. It has a replacement half-lit boarded door beneath an overlight. Windows are 12-pane horned sashes in the lower storey, 16-pane hornless sashes in the upper storey.
Against the L gable end (No 9) are communal stone steps. The rear of No 9 has a rubble-stone lean-to with corrugated iron roof, built into the steep cliff face.
Listed as one of a short row of houses, notable for its use of local stone, retaining definite C19 regional character (including small-pane sash windows) and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Tremadog.
Other nearby listed buildings