This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9394 / 52°56'21"N
Longitude: -4.1411 / 4°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 256213
OS Northings: 340141
OS Grid: SH562401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVZ5
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CC9Z
Entry Name: ,11,Market Square,Tremadog,,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85304
Location: A terraced house and in the SE corner of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810. No 11 Market Square was part of this first phase of development.
A 2-storey double-fronted house slightly altered when converted to 2 premises. Of roughly coursed and squared quarried stone with stone lintels, renewed slate roof on boarded projecting eaves, with stone end stacks. The central entrance has a replacement door with large glazed panel. On the L side are 2-pane horned sash windows, shorter in the upper storey. On the R side is a shop front inserted in place of an original window, with recessed glazed door and small-pane window, and 4-pane sash window in the upper storey.
Listed, notwithstanding slight alteration, for its special architectural interest as an early C19 house, part of the original development of Tremadog, using local stone, and retaining definite character. An integral component of the planned town.
Other nearby listed buildings