This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9237 / 52°55'25"N
Longitude: -4.1308 / 4°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 256847
OS Northings: 338380
OS Grid: SH568383
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYWJ
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR4Z
Entry Name: ,12,Cornhill (Pencei),Porthmadog harbour,Porthmadog,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85307
Location: In a row of terraced houses on the W side of Cornhill.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.
Nos 11-12 Cornhill were built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and are first shown on the 1842 Tithe map. They were probably among the 'many good houses' mentioned in 1833. The basements were separate dwellings.
Built as a pair with No 11, No 12 is a late-Georgian double-fronted house of 2½ storeys and basement, of large squared slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses (now outlined with heavy cement pointing), slate roof and stone stack to the R. Steps, rebuilt in cement and shared with No 11, lead up to the central entrance raised above street level, which has a fielded-panel door under a plain overlight, and is flanked by 16-pane hornless sash windows. The upper storey has a single similar window over the door. On the R side of the main steps, slate steps lead down to a boarded basement door.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a paired late Georgian town house in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and retaining definite early character and detail, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings