This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9388 / 52°56'19"N
Longitude: -4.1412 / 4°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 256198
OS Northings: 340079
OS Grid: SH561400
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVY2
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CD6D
Entry Name: ,16 Hoel y Llan (Church Street),Tremadog,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85317
Location: The S end of a terrace of 4 houses fronting the street.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. Nos 8-16 Church Street were probably built in the mid C19 as they are not shown on the 1842 Tithe map, although in 1813 Richard Fenton saw 'the elevation of a new street that is to face the new church'. The houses are shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan.
Belongs to a group of 8-16 Church Street, Tremadog.
A terrace of four 2-storey houses and a shop of various rendered fronts, slate roofs and 4 stone stacks (there is no L end stack). The details of the houses differ, and have mostly later C19 fronts. Nos 8-10 form a 2-window shop (The Post Office) and house of scribed render. A modern replacement small-pane shop window has a recessed half-glazed door, and has simple Tuscan pilasters below a fascia and moulded cornice. Other openings have hood moulds. The house (No 10) is entered at the L end by a recessed replacement panelled door and overlight. In the upper storey are replacement top-hung windows offset to the L and aligned with the doorways.
No 12 is a double-fronted house of cream-painted pebble-dashed front with smooth-rendered pilaster strips, upper-storey sill band and architraves. Its entrance is offset to the L of centre and has a recessed central door of 2 round-headed panels under an overlight. Windows are 12-pane hornless sashes with slate sills. No 14 is a 2-window house with grey pebble-dashed front. Openings are offset to the L. The entrance on the L side has an added half-glazed porch, inside which is a replacement half-glazed door under a round-headed overlight with relief foliage in the spandrels. Windows are 2-pane sashes in original openings, horned in the lower storey, hornless in the upper storey. The front bears a plaque commemorating William Jones. No 16 is a pebble-dashed 2-window house. The entrance on the L side has a modern open porch of steel posts supporting an entablature and cornice with dentil frieze. The replacement door has 2 circular panels and glazed round-headed upper panels, under a plain overlight. On the R side is a late C19 2-storey canted bay window with 4-pane sashes. The upper storey also has a 4-pane sash window above the doorway.
In the rubble-stone L gable end No 16 has a replacement attic window to the R of centre. To the rear the houses have 2-storey wings, except for a 1-storey wing to No 12, with added skylights and a roof dormer added to No 14.
Listed as one of a row of C19 houses retaining C19 character in an important position opposite the church, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Tremadog.
Other nearby listed buildings