This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.924 / 52°55'26"N
Longitude: -4.1307 / 4°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 256858
OS Northings: 338418
OS Grid: SH568384
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYXP
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR6Q
Entry Name: ,19,Cornhill (Pencei),Porthmadog harbour,Porthmadog,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85320
Location: In a row of terraced houses on the N side of Cornhill.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.
No 19 Cornhill was built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and is shown on the 1842 Tithe map. Originally a public house it was known as the Rope & Anchor in 1844, and subsequently as the Blue Anchor. Now a private house.
A 2½-storey 3-window house of large slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof with added skylights, and end stacks, of which the R-hand has been heightened adjacent to the higher No 20. The entrance is offset to the R of centre. It has a replacement half-glazed door and overlight. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes, shorter in the upper storey. The 2-window rear has replacement windows in earlier openings and an added 1-storey gabled wing on the R side.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a C19 former public house which forms part of a terrace in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and retaining definite C19 character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings