History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

,7-9 Hoel y Llan (Church Street),Tremadog,,

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthmadog, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.939 / 52°56'20"N

Longitude: -4.141 / 4°8'27"W

OS Eastings: 256215

OS Northings: 340106

OS Grid: SH562401

Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVZ8

Mapcode Global: WH55L.CDB6

Entry Name: ,7-9 Hoel y Llan (Church Street),Tremadog,,

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Last Amended: 26 September 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85350

Location: A terraced house fronting the street S of Market Square.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Locality: Tremadog

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Tremadoc

History

Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. Nos 3-15 Church Street were added in at least 2 phases. They are not shown on the 1842 Tithe map, although in 1813 Richard Fenton saw 'the elevation of a new street that is to face the new church', which could refer to Nos 3-9. Nos 5-15 were built first, followed by No 3. The terrace is shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey. No 7-9 was probably originally a shop and house.

Exterior

Belongs to a group of 3-15 Church Street, Tremadog.

A 2-storey terrace of 4 houses and a shop, mainly of large roughly dressed blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses, and renewed slate roofs on projecting eaves with stone and roughcast stacks. The details differ.

A 2-storey 3-window terraced house of large dressed blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses, large slate-stone lintels, slate roof on projecting eaves and stone end stacks. Its entrance on the L side has a replacement half-glazed door and overlight. Windows are all replacement 2-pane horned sashes, not all in original openings. The central window in the lower storey was originally a (shop) doorway and the R-hand has a wider earlier opening, probably a shop window. In the upper storey the central window is blind and rendered.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as one of a row of houses, using local stone, retaining C19 character in an important position close to the church, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Tremadog.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.