History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

,9,Market Square,Tremadog,,,

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthmadog, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9394 / 52°56'21"N

Longitude: -4.1411 / 4°8'28"W

OS Eastings: 256209

OS Northings: 340149

OS Grid: SH562401

Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVZ4

Mapcode Global: WH55L.CC8X

Entry Name: ,9,Market Square,Tremadog,,,

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Last Amended: 26 September 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85356

Location: A terraced house on the E side of Market Square.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Locality: Tremadog

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Tremadoc

History

Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810. No 9 Market Square was part of this first phase of development. Its front was remodelled in the early C20.

Exterior

A 2-storey double-fronted house of pebble-dashed front with smooth-rendered surrounds, plinth and upper-storey sill band, renewed slate roof on boarded projecting eaves, 2 added skylights and stone end stacks. The central entrance has an early C20 half-glazed boarded door and overlight. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes, smaller in the upper storey.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as an early C19 house retaining definite character and part of the original development of Tremadog. An integral component of the planned town.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.